Brokers and MT5

Hi,

I've opened a couple of demo accounts with certain brokers that don't seem to work with the standard MT5 platform (downloaded at metatrader5.com) but force you to download their own version of the app instead which is very inconvenient as you end up with several version of the app installed.

Does anyone know how to force these accounts to work with the standard version of MT5?

I can provide an example of a broker that doesn't work but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do that in this forum.

read post

----------------

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

Common error

Sergey Golubev, 2020.06.16 17:42

I have also demo accounts ... you can see how many -

If one demo account is not good so I will create the other one with the other broker (and in this way - we all are selecting the good broker to trade) -

How to Start with Metatrader 5
How to Start with Metatrader 5
  • www.mql5.com
I decided to create this thread to help to myself and to the others to start with Metatrader 5...

Why is that "inconvenient?" You need one terminal per account.

Even if you can "force" it; you still need one terminal per account.

William Roeder:

Why is that "inconvenient?" You need one terminal per account.

Even if you can "force" it; you still need one terminal per account.

It's inconvenient when you are back testing a new EA.  You have to copy the source to each individual work area before you test it.

chris_turner:

Hi,

I've opened a couple of demo accounts with certain brokers that don't seem to work with the standard MT5 platform (downloaded at metatrader5.com) but force you to download their own version of the app instead which is very inconvenient as you end up with several version of the app installed.

Does anyone know how to force these accounts to work with the standard version of MT5?

I can provide an example of a broker that doesn't work but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do that in this forum.

You are forced to nothing. The difference between "standard" MT5 and "broker" MT5 is cosmetic only. For a given build the program is exactly the same.

Any broker account can be added to the "standard" MT5 list (see Sergey post).

Alain Verleyen:

You are forced to nothing. The difference between "standard" MT5 and "broker" MT5 is cosmetic only. For a given build the program is exactly the same.

Any broker account can be added to the "standard" MT5 list (see Sergey post).

Hi Alain,

I've been investigating this problem further today and I have some more information.

I am actually connecting to the broker account but the icon next to the account always remains yellow and never turns green like on other accounts I have.

I can run my EA on the account but it never downloads any history and so never trades.

I'm not really sure what I can do about it.

Chris.

chris_turner:

Hi Alain,

I've been investigating this problem further today and I have some more information.

I am actually connecting to the broker account but the icon next to the account always remains yellow and never turns green like on other accounts I have.

I can run my EA on the account but it never downloads any history and so never trades.

I'm not really sure what I can do about it.

Chris.

It could just be the broker server is in maintenance mode due to week-end. The icon doesn't have to turn green, the color indicates the account type.

Accounts in the Navigator window are marked with appropriate icons depending on their type: Demo account— a demo account, Preliminary account— a preliminary account, Live account— a live account.
User Interface - Getting Started - MetaTrader 5 Help
User Interface - Getting Started - MetaTrader 5 Help
  • www.metatrader5.com
The main menu contains almost all commands and functions that can be executed in the trading platform. It provides access to operations with charts, analytical tools, platform settings and other features. The main menu consists of the following items: File, View, Inset, Charts, Tools, Window, Help. Toolbars The platform has three built-in...

Alain Verleyen:

It could just be the broker server is in maintenance mode due to week-end. The icon doesn't have to turn green, the color indicates the account type.

It could be but it seems to happen with multiple accounts.  All my accounts are demo accounts but the ones that don't download the history never go green.

I even have one account that is working on my desktop machine (hard-wired to the network) and doesn't work on my laptop (wifi connected).

I think it happens too often to be a maintenance issue.  Also, I try quite often but the ones that fail never change.

Reason: