Struggling to understand basic code. Please help.

I'm brand new to coding.  I found a course on Udemy that is really helpful but when I want to do something that the course doesn't cover, I really struggle to understand the MQL4 Docs.  For example, it doesn't cover adding objects to the chart.  Right now I'd like to add a simple vertical line whenever the stochastics indicator crosses above the 80 or below 20.

As I look online I see people drawing vertical lines in all these different conditions but I'm having a hard time simplifying it to do what I want.

Could someone show me an example of the most basic form of adding an object?  There are so many options that I think I'm a little overwhelmed.  In the code below I am trying to draw a vertical line when stochastics crosses over 80.  I created a variable for the upper and lower line so I can adjust them later as intern variables.  I created that candleCount variable because I read somewhere that multiple lines can't be drawn unless their name is different.  I think I saw someone write the name in this way before.

This is all making my head spin.  I feel like I will be so well off if I can just see a basic example of how to add a vertical line, what the necessary inputs are and then I can tweak them and build on that as I learn.

Any help is appreciated.

void OnTick()
{
double stochUpper = 80;
double stochLower = 20; 

double stochShift2 = NormalizeDouble(iStochastic(NULL,0,14,3,3,0,0,MODE_MAIN,2),4);
double stochShift1 = NormalizeDouble(iStochastic(NULL,0,14,3,3,0,0,MODE_MAIN,1),4);

int candleCount = 0;
candleCount++;

if(stochShift1 > 80 && stochShift2 < 80)
   {
   ObjectCreate("Line" + candleCount,OBJ_VLINE,0,0,0,0);
   }

}

Try this instead.

ObjectCreate("Line" + candleCount,OBJ_VLINE,0,Time[0],0);

mt4ski:

Try this instead.

Thanks mt4ski!  That made the difference.  On that line, which input changes the colour?  I'm trying to create a vertical line that is one colour for oversold and another for overbought.  Your help is very appreciated!

PS

I tried looking in the docs but there are a couple pages of code examples that don't seem to look anything like the simple line you wrote. 

dasilvja:

Thanks mt4ski!  That made the difference.  On that line, which input changes the colour?  I'm trying to create a vertical line that is one colour for oversold and another for overbought.  Your help is very appreciated!

PS

I tried looking in the docs but there are a couple pages of code examples that don't seem to look anything like the simple line you wrote. 

Don't just copy and paste code, try to understand what you're doing. You don't need to look further than the documentation.

bool  ObjectCreate( 
   string        object_name,   // object name 
   ENUM_OBJECT   object_type,   // object type 
   int           sub_window,    // window index 
   datetime      time1,         // time of the first anchor point 
   double        price1,        // price of the first anchor point 
   datetime      time2=0,       // time of the second anchor point 
   double        price2=0,      // price of the second anchor point 
   datetime      time3=0,       // time of the third anchor point 
   double        price3=0       // price of the third anchor point 
   );

A vertical line needs a vertical axis value: time, and a horizontal line needs a price value. When a default parameter value is set, the parameter is not required if you don't need it. 

You set the color with ObjectSetInteger

It's time to read about the basics of programming if you expect to program. 
ObjectSetInteger - Object Functions - MQL4 Reference
ObjectSetInteger - Object Functions - MQL4 Reference
  • docs.mql4.com
[in]  Modifier of the specified property.  It denotes the number of the level in Fibonacci tools and in the graphical object Andrew's pitchfork. The numeration of levels starts from zero. The function returns true only if the command to change properties of a graphical object has been sent to a chart successfully. Otherwise it returns false. To...

You can use 
bool  ObjectSet( 
   string   object_name,   // object name 
   int      index,         // property index 
   double   value          // value 
   );
too.
Reason: