Struggling to understand basic code. Please help.

To add comments, please log in or register
dasilvja
dasilvja  

I'm brand new to coding.  I found a course on Udemy that is really helpful but when I want to do something that the course doesn't cover, I really struggle to understand the MQL4 Docs.  For example, it doesn't cover adding objects to the chart.  Right now I'd like to add a simple vertical line whenever the stochastics indicator crosses above the 80 or below 20.

As I look online I see people drawing vertical lines in all these different conditions but I'm having a hard time simplifying it to do what I want.

Could someone show me an example of the most basic form of adding an object?  There are so many options that I think I'm a little overwhelmed.  In the code below I am trying to draw a vertical line when stochastics crosses over 80.  I created a variable for the upper and lower line so I can adjust them later as intern variables.  I created that candleCount variable because I read somewhere that multiple lines can't be drawn unless their name is different.  I think I saw someone write the name in this way before.

This is all making my head spin.  I feel like I will be so well off if I can just see a basic example of how to add a vertical line, what the necessary inputs are and then I can tweak them and build on that as I learn.

Any help is appreciated.

void OnTick()
{
double stochUpper = 80;
double stochLower = 20; 

double stochShift2 = NormalizeDouble(iStochastic(NULL,0,14,3,3,0,0,MODE_MAIN,2),4);
double stochShift1 = NormalizeDouble(iStochastic(NULL,0,14,3,3,0,0,MODE_MAIN,1),4);

int candleCount = 0;
candleCount++;

if(stochShift1 > 80 && stochShift2 < 80)
   {
   ObjectCreate("Line" + candleCount,OBJ_VLINE,0,0,0,0);
   }

}
mt4ski
mt4ski  

Try this instead.

ObjectCreate("Line" + candleCount,OBJ_VLINE,0,Time[0],0);
dasilvja
dasilvja  
mt4ski:

Try this instead.

Thanks mt4ski!  That made the difference.  On that line, which input changes the colour?  I'm trying to create a vertical line that is one colour for oversold and another for overbought.  Your help is very appreciated!

PS

I tried looking in the docs but there are a couple pages of code examples that don't seem to look anything like the simple line you wrote. 

To add comments, please log in or register