More of less indicators in EA

I am doing a lot of testing with an EA based on MA crossover.. and it seems that whatever I try to add, (a condition / indicator) it affects the results negative in stead of positive.. a lor less profit and more drawback!

Who has the same experience? Is the simpler EA most of the times the better EA here?

For me the MA indicator is what gives me the best results.. and somehow I get better result shorting than going long with identical EA setup??  What are in your opinion the best indicator combos for EA? 

The EA does what you tell it to do. Maybe the problem is in your code, or in you. 

Is there something in specific that you are trying to achieve or are you just guessing that you will do something to make it better?

If it was as simple as adding one or two common indicators, everybody would be millionaires.

They are called indicators because indicate; they summarize. They are not called money-makers.

In reality you can earn with a simple moving average if you have proper money management, but it's difficult to: earn a lot, have high winrate, be successful in the long term.

MAs have more lag with higher smoothing (bigger profits) but with smaller periods you get less lag but also less profits (and more spread)

so it's a trade off, it's not possible to use a simple MA and be profitable. or even basic indicators like William said otherwise trading would be easy, and it's not

Jean Francois Le Bas:

MAs have more lag with higher smoothing (bigger profits) but with smaller periods you get less lag but also less profits (and more spread)

so it's a trade off, it's not possible to use a simple MA and be profitable. or even basic indicators like William said otherwise trading would be easy, and it's not

Mate, I'm not talking about the signal you receive, it's about how you manage your orders. A good signal is necessary if you want to earn a lot with small drawdown, and that's difficult, but a 5-10% per year can be done with a simple moving average and a good management of your orders (mm).

Results for shorting vs longing differ because of the relative strength between economies. In the current period, shorting a pair that has the dollar a the denominator tends to give better results due to greater momentum. You may want to tweak your EA so that the parameters for long trades vs short trades will reflect this fact.

Cheers!

Reason: