Starting my programming journey, would like some advice

Hello friends,

So for the last few years, I've dedicated myself to create a successful trading strategy that took many sleepless nights and iterations of the strategy.

Now I did all that work always thinking that I wanted to automated in the future. Now for the purpose of this post:

Quite honestly, I dont really trust anyone to work with me on this because the people that I have considered get greedy because they see the results and the plan we were trying to do falls through. I made the decision to just learn code and do it myself which is something that I've been putting off for years anyhow.

Should I start with MQL or C in order to be able to accomplish this?

I also have a few concerns:

I have been told that brokers have access to whatever indicators or EA you're using so some have suggested that I use Python and use something like ZeroMQ to communicate with MT4 but the concern with that is that my strategy uses one indicator that I structure the market with which is an MQL4 indicator ofcourse.

Is the broker having access to take your material real? Should I just go for python? Would I be able to translate my indicator to python to run it in the robot?

Lastly, I apologize if my language is very "newbish" starting a new journey here, I have been successful in everything else I've done in my life so if you do give me advice, feel safe that I will put it to good use.

Thank you

Ang Gom:
Should I start with MQL or C in order to be able to accomplish this?

I don't see any benefit in starting with C. Just go straight into MQL4, if you're going to use MT4.

Ang Gom:
I have been told that brokers have access to whatever indicators or EA you're using so some have suggested that I use Python and use something like ZeroMQ to communicate with MT4 but the concern with that is that my strategy uses one indicator that I structure the market with which is an MQL4 indicator ofcourse.

Is the broker having access to take your material real? Should I just go for python? Would I be able to translate my indicator to python to run it in the robot?

Technically possible, but unlikely. Why would any broker want to do that?

People use Python for its machine learning and data analysis capabilities, not quite to protect their algorithms from brokers.

Seng Joo Thio:

I don't see any benefit in starting with C. Just go straight into MQL4, if you're going to use MT4.

Technically possible, but unlikely. Why would any broker want to do that?

People use Python for its machine learning and data analysis capabilities, not quite to protect their algorithms from brokers.

Thanks for the reply!

I picked up a few courses on MQL4 and will start the process of learning in a few days, taking advantage of the quarantine we have in my city.

Any tips you recommend in the process of  learning?

I used to set up Cisco routers and switches so I know the process will be somewhat similar but with a lot more possibilities.

Ang Gom:
Thanks for the reply!

I picked up a few courses on MQL4 and will start the process of learning in a few days, taking advantage of the quarantine we have in my city.

Any tips you recommend in the process of  learning?

I used to set up Cisco routers and switches so I know the process will be somewhat similar but with a lot more possibilities.

Personally, given that there are "a lot more possibilities", I prefer to learn through trial & error - code something, run it, step through it, tweak parts of it, repeat. So getting familiar with the testing/debugging environment is important. You can't possibility explore all possibilities, but at least try out all use cases that you can think of.

When you're ready to get seriously productive, divide and conquer. Start small, test to make sure each component works properly, before connecting them together.

Lastly, if you need help, you can always search or ask here in mql5.com - it's not difficult to see that a vast majority of people receive the attention/help they needed, except those with bad attitudes (e.g. not putting in their own effort, stubbornly shut themselves out from well-intended advice, or being plain rude, etc.)...

Seng Joo Thio:

Personally, given that there are "a lot more possibilities", I prefer to learn through trial & error - code something, run it, step through it, tweak parts of it, repeat. So getting familiar with the testing/debugging environment is important. You can't possibility explore all possibilities, but at least try out all use cases that you can think of.

When you're ready to get seriously productive, divide and conquer. Start small, test to make sure each component works properly, before connecting them together.

Lastly, if you need help, you can always search or ask here in mql5.com - it's not difficult to see that a vast majority of people receive the attention/help they needed, except those with bad attitudes (e.g. not putting in their own effort, stubbornly shut themselves out from well-intended advice, or being plain rude, etc.)...

Perfect! That's how I learn best anyhow with everything I've done (including my FX strategy).

I will start tomorrow going through a 7 hour course on MQL4 that I got.

Seng, you've been great help. Do you mind if I add you?

Don't worry on me berating with questions (I'm not the type) but down the line keep in contact.

Ang Gom:
Perfect! That's how I learn best anyhow with everything I've done (including my FX strategy).

I will start tomorrow going through a 7 hour course on MQL4 that I got.

Seng, you've been great help. Do you mind if I add you?

Don't worry on me berating with questions (I'm not the type) but down the line keep in contact.

As Seng says, trial and error is one way to go.

If you have a strategy already, that should make your coding journey easier. You can actually plan what you need to learn.

I would write down all my rules and conditions, and then think about what coding actions/functions I would need to accomplish the goal. And then go about learning how to write the functions.

That said, I would spend some time away from your strategy, and learn some basics of MQL4. 

andrew:

As Seng says, trial and error is one way to go.

If you have a strategy already, that should make your coding journey easier. You can actually plan what you need to learn.

I would write down all my rules and conditions, and then think about what coding actions/functions I would need to accomplish the goal. And then go about learning how to write the functions.

That said, I would spend some time away from your strategy, and learn some basics of MQL4. 

I was actually thinking exactly that! I still will be trading as I actively do specially being that these times are a trader's wet dream.

But definitely I have four main goals that I have to learn how to do when coding this strategy. First I'll just go about learning basics.

"Learn the rules and then break them" type of mindset.

Thank you for the response bro.

Hey Ang Gom, iam in the same boat lets start learning i ll share my part and learnings on your thread if you dont mind i know a little bit editing in amibroker so i know what exactly needs to get changed or edit.

first thing here is we actually dont need to code all (complete code) most of the times, as it is available on internet. we just need to edit some conditions like able to identify syntax for particular code and able to identify which variable defines that particular syntax so we can use that one in other code to alter it. last but not least we able to write buy sell conditions in conjunction with the variables used in syntax....lets start reading codes.

Happy learning...

Reason: