VPS Q&A - page 3

FXFund:

to migrate to MQL VPS the buyer has to first activate the purchase on their pc

if my pc subsequently dies, a second activation has to be used on my new pc if I want to migrate updates/changes etc to MQL's VPS;

which happened to me 3 weeks after buying an expensive EA; activations used = 2

in contrast,

if I use a non-MQL VPS the activation is triggered only once on the VPS's server

so no matter how many times my local pc dies, and because updates etc are undertaken on the VPS's server,

as long as the VPS's computer doesnt die, activations used = 1

the ease of use of MQL's VPS is valuable, but it does require me to use up activations when/if my pc dies; non MQL VPS's do not

Its not as simple as that, when your VPS computer updates to a new Windows version, you will need another activation.

There is no way that you will only need 1 activation forever, whatever the setup.

Eleni Anna Branou:

Its not as simple as that, when your VPS computer updates to a new Windows version, you will need another activation.

There is no way that you will only need 1 activation forever, whatever the setup.

it looks like MQL replaces a lost activation due to windows update https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/243871

so non-MQL VPS's use fewer activations if your pc dies

FXFund:

it looks like MQL replaces a lost activation due to windows update https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/243871

nevertheless, when a pc dies another activation is used if using MQL's VPS; but it isnt used if a non-MQL VPS is being used

This is the case if you suppose that you will continue using the same (other) VPS forever.

I don't know how realistic that is.

Eleni Anna Branou:

This is the case if you suppose that you will continue using the same (other) VPS forever.

I don't know how realistic that is.

true, there will be times when using activations is required

however, it seems a little unfair to use up activations because your pc dies, is stolen, or you need to upgrade it for some hardware reason

the work-around is a non-MQL VPS, it doesnt use up activations if your pc dies, is stolen, or you need to upgrade it

.... I would much rather use MQL's VPSbecause it is simple and MQL is motivated to make it work well,

but if using MQL's VPS means I have to use up activations when events outside of my control occur,

then I have to give some thought to whether MQL's VPS is in my best interest

Reason: