Stopping MT-4 with Task Manager

Hi Folks,

I made a dumb mistake while trying to program my first indicator with MQL4. I am new at this, and got my indicator into an infinite loop after i placed it on a chart in my live account. Well, it locked up my system and I had to exit MT-4 by stopping the program with the Task Manager. Anyway, now MT-4 won't load any more. Do you think MT-4 got damaged when I stopped it like this? Will have to download MT-4 and start all over again? If so, that seems like a fairly extreme penalty to pay for a newbie programming error. Would there be a more elegant way of getting out of this type of situation?

Thanks for any help with this!

gary

You can copy Terminal.exe and MetaEditor.exe to a new folder and execute Terminal.exe to start over from scratch.

1. Just delete your last compiled EX4 and restart the terminal.
  2. Why did you post your MT4 question in the Root / MT5 General section instead of the MQL4 section, (bottom of the Root page?)
              General rules and best pratices of the Forum. - General - MQL5 programming forum
    Next time post in the correct place. The moderators will likely move this thread there soon.

Marco vd Heijden:
You can copy Terminal.exe and MetaEditor.exe to a new folder and execute Terminal.exe to start over from scratch.

Thanks for your help Marco!

gary

William Roeder:
  1. Just delete your last compiled EX4 and restart the terminal.
  2. Why did you post your MT4 question in the Root / MT5 General section instead of the MQL4 section, (bottom of the Root page?)
              General rules and best pratices of the Forum. - General - MQL5 programming forum
    Next time post in the correct place. The moderators will likely move this thread there soon.

Thank you for the advice William. And I'll be sure to post in the appropriate place next time around (and there will be a next time)!

best,

gary

Reason: