MT4 won't run on Windows Vista. Workaround??

I'll begin by saying I still use Windows Vista. I know, I am a dinosaur. I have learned to accept it and come to grips with it   ;-)

Last year I was running a demo from InstaForex and had it set up with many charts and many indicators - just how I liked it. I had to get away from practice trading for a while, and am only now able to return to it. So when I fired up my InstaForex demo again, it displayed the error as show in the attached screenshot. Googling around a little, I quickly learned that it was because of a combination of new MT4 version, and my old Windows Vista. I could get another new demo account from InstaForex and download the latest MT4, but it just won't work on my Windows Vista. It's really such a big pain to have to re-install a whole new OS... I realize eventually it should be done, but right now, it's such a big hassle. I could live with having to set up all my charts and indicators all over again, if I could avoid the Windows re-installation. Does anyone know of a workaround to this situation? Maybe an older version of MT4 that will behave nicely with old WIndows Vista, and still let me run a demo account? (doesn't *have* to be with InstaForex)

Thank You!

Shawn

Files:
insta-err.jpg  41 kb

It's not a pain you can use the official WIndows USB tool to make a bootable USB or you can burn an ISO image to a dvd and install from either one of those.

Maybe you can read over here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

For you the easiest way would be to download a ISO file and burn it onto a dvd and start your computer from the dvd to install a newer OS.

Given the specs of your current computer i would recommend you to try Windows 7.

Windows USB/DVD Download Tool - Microsoft Store
  • www.microsoft.com
When you download Windows from Microsoft Store, you have two options: You can download a collection of compressed files, or you can download an ISO file. An ISO file combines all the Windows installation files into a single uncompressed file. If you choose to download an ISO file so you can create a bootable file from a DVD or USB drive...

shawnM: download the latest MT4, but it just won't work on my Windows Vista.
You can't use Vista with newer platforms and you can use older platforms with brokers. No need to re-install, update like Marco suggests.
  1. The MetaTrader platforms will no longer support Windows XP, Windows 2003 and Windows Vista after 01 October 2017.
              Support for Windows XP / Windows 2003 / Windows Vista to be discontinued after 01 October 2017 - MetaTrader 5 - General - MQL5 programming forum 2017.06.01

MetaTrader 5 build 1745 will be the last platform version supporting Microsoft Windows XP/2003/Vista
              New MetaTrader 5 Platform Build 1745 - Trading Strategies That Work - General - MQL5 programming forum 2018.01.11

2. After 1 March 2019, MetaTrader 4 desktop terminal builds below 1118 … will no longer be supported.
              Support for older MetaTrader 4 Desktop and Android versions to end on March 1, 2019 - Android Trading Platform - MQL4 and MetaTrader 4 - MQL4 programming forum 2019.02.06

If you want to use the newer platforms, a reinstall/update will be necessary.

This is the preferred solution if you do not want to have to deal with compatibility issues on an ongoing basis.

Marco vd Heijden:

It's not a pain you can use the official WIndows USB tool to make a bootable USB or you can burn an ISO image to a dvd and install from either one of those.

Maybe you can read over here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

For you the easiest way would be to download a ISO file and burn it onto a dvd and start your computer from the dvd to install a newer OS.

Given the specs of your current computer i would recommend you to try Windows 7.

Thanks Marco & William.. I could do this, but where do I download the ISO for Windows 7 Home Premium? Do I need a "FULL" Windows 7 edition, or just a "in-place installation" edition? (Or maybe there is only one edition, I don't know).

So I'm not sure what I need to buy... or where to get it. I have my Windows Vista product key, but I don't know if that is any help or not. Googling around a bit, I found a couple of things:

https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Windows-7.shtml

Will this work for me? Then I found something on eBay for sale for 99 cents:

https://www.ebay.ca/i/183629445458?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=706-89093-2056-0&mkcid=2&itemid=183629445458&targetid=536716750522&device=c&adtype=pla&googleloc=1002106&poi=&campaignid=1669215026&adgroupid=63013117165&rlsatarget=pla-536716750522&abcId=1140226&merchantid=10252592&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwq-3mNat4gIV00wNCh1dOg3EEAYYAiABEgJ4bfD_BwE

... but that says there is "No Key", so I don't see what the good of that would be.

Thanks!

Shawn

I already send you a PM day's ago.
Reason: