Discussion of article "Reversal patterns: Testing the Double top/bottom pattern"

New article Reversal patterns: Testing the Double top/bottom pattern has been published:

Traders often look for trend reversal points since the price has the greatest potential for movement at the very beginning of a newly formed trend. Consequently, various reversal patterns are considered in the technical analysis. The Double top/bottom is one of the most well-known and frequently used ones. The article proposes the method of the pattern programmatic detection. It also tests the pattern's profitability on history data.

The Double top/bottom pattern can be found frequently on a price chart. Its formation is closely connected with the theory of trade levels. The pattern is formed at the end of a trend when the price meets a support or resistance level (depending on the previous movement). After a correction during a repeated testing of the level, it rolls back again instead of breaking through it.

At this point, counter-trend traders come into play trading a roll-back from the level and pushing the price towards correction. While the correction movement gains momentum, traders following the trend start exiting the market by either fixing the profit or closing loss-making positions that were aimed at breaking through the level. That strengthens the movement even further leading to the emergence of a new trend.

Double top pattern

When searching for a pattern on a chart, there is no point in searching for the exact match of tops/bottoms. Deviation of top/bottom levels is considered normal. Just make sure the peaks are within the same support/resistance level. The pattern reliability depends on a strength of a level it is based on.

Author: Dmitriy Gizlyk

Hello,

Thanks for this interesting article, but included MQL5 code canot be compiled, many errors :(

'CArrayLong' - parameter passed as reference, variable expected    LimitTakeProfit.mqh    56    56
'CArrayDouble' - parameter passed as reference, variable expected    LimitTakeProfit.mqh    57    56
'Create' - unexpected token, probably type is missing?    ZigZag.mqh    72    10
and many more

Thanks

tluszczofil:

Hello,

Thanks for this interesting article, but included MQL5 code canot be compiled, many errors :(

'CArrayLong' - parameter passed as reference, variable expected    LimitTakeProfit.mqh    56    56
'CArrayDouble' - parameter passed as reference, variable expected    LimitTakeProfit.mqh    57    56
'Create' - unexpected token, probably type is missing?    ZigZag.mqh    72    10
and many more

Thanks

Hello,

You must to add
#include "SymbolInfo.mqh"
#include <Arrays\ArrayDouble.mqh>
#include <Arrays\ArrayLong.mqh>
form LimitTakeProfit.mqh

my curent view

place with error

Dmitriy Gizlyk:

Hello,

You must to add
#include "SymbolInfo.mqh"
#include <Arrays\ArrayDouble.mqh>
#include <Arrays\ArrayLong.mqh>
form LimitTakeProfit.mqh

Sorry Dimitriy,

I do not know where to put it, it is not working in my MT5.

is it big problem for you to update your attached zip file? 

Thank you in advance.

As others have said, the code does not compile.

There are so many errors that you don't know where to adjust what to get it working.

HI Everyone!

Create' - unexpected token, probably type is missing? 

The solution is to type the void keyword before the class name at 72 line in the ZigZag.mqh. I am using the latest MT5 my pepperstone.

void CZigZag::Create(string symbol,int depth,int deviation,int backstep,ENUM_TIMEFRAMES timeframe=PERIOD_CURRENT)

{

}

JordanovTrader:

HI Everyone!

Create' - unexpected token, probably type is missing? 

The solution is to type the void keyword before the class name at 72 line in the ZigZag.mqh. I am using the latest MT5 my pepperstone.

void CZigZag::Create(string symbol,int depth,int deviation,int backstep,ENUM_TIMEFRAMES timeframe=PERIOD_CURRENT)

{

}

Hi, show the journal.

Dmitriy Gizlyk:

Hi, show the journal.

Hi! I have a screenshot about the errors. I have repaired in my downloaded version. I think the MQL5 language has been changed.

The solution is:

I do not know why, because in the c++ lang is the first the logical for me, but I am not c++ developer.

Dmitriy Gizlyk:

Hi, show the journal.

The sollution is to delete the 0 in the {}

Dmitriy Gizlyk:

Hi, show the journal.

Dear Dimitry!

Thank you very much for your code, I have learned many things of it already!

Best regards, Todor

Dmitriy Gizlyk:

Hi, show the journal.

As you see, in the line 72, the void is missing in the original source. I think, that the problem is depending from the new mql5 lang version. Already have to use the void keyword in the latest version.

Reason: