MT4 not using server resources

Hi,

I am currently using some systems (indicators and EAs, both bought and developed by myself) that are very hardware intensive.

I have some powerfull hardware at my disposal, because I work at a ISP. I have a dedicated server on a data center only for my MT4 platform (it's a intel xeon E5-2609 with 16Gb of ram).

The problem is that MT4 keeps freezing, even though it's only using 15%-20% of server CPU and not even 10% of available memory.

Is there a way to make MT4 use more server resources?

------------

For my trading purposes, I need to keep 40 charts opened (10 different pairs in 4 different timeframes each). I know that's a lot of charts, but I tought that having a powerfull server would be enough...

-----------

If making MT4 use more resources is not possible, I tought of opening 10 Demo accounts and run 10 MT4 platforms simultaneously. Each MT4 would trade a different pair (4 charts) and I would use a Trade Copier to copy trades to the MT4 with my real account. Do you think that's a bad idea? I mean, I am not sure if I can trust a demo account to give perfect market conditions... apart from spread, could something else go wrong?

Thanks.

Rafael Grecco: I am currently using some systems (indicators and EAs, both bought and developed by myself) that are very hardware intensive.

I have some powerfull hardware at my disposal, because I work at a ISP. I have a dedicated server on a data center only for my MT4 platform (it's a intel xeon E5-2609 with 16Gb of ram).

The problem is that MT4 keeps freezing, even though it's only using 15%-20% of server CPU and not even 10% of available memory.

Is there a way to make MT4 use more server resources?

------------

For my trading purposes, I need to keep 40 charts opened (10 different pairs in 4 different timeframes each). I know that's a lot of charts, but I tought that having a powerfull server would be enough...

-----------

If making MT4 use more resources is not possible, I tought of opening 10 Demo accounts and run 10 MT4 platforms simultaneously. Each MT4 would trade a different pair (4 charts) and I would use a Trade Copier to copy trades to the MT4 with my real account. Do you think that's a bad idea? I mean, I am not sure if I can trust a demo account to give perfect market conditions... apart from spread, could something else go wrong?

MT4 is 32 bit and is not designed to be totally multi-threaded as MT5. So, if you want it to use more resources, you will have to have more instances of the terminal running as long as they are each installed on a different directory/drive.

You can still have all instances run on the same account if you wish and there will be no need to copy trade. I recommend however setting them up in portable mode, which makes it much easier to replicate the installations very quickly.

Fernando Carreiro:

MT4 is 32 bit and is not designed to be totally multi-threaded as MT5. So, if you want it to use more resources, you will have to have more instances of the terminal running as long as they are each installed on a different directory/drive.

You can still have all instances run on the same account if you wish. I recommend however setting them up in portable mode, which makes it much easier to replicate the installations very quickly.

Hi Fernando,

I didn't know I could use all instances on the same account. That's perfect! That way I don't need the demo accounts.

I'm also reading about portable mode, trying to figure out what are the difference/advantages of using it.

Thank you very much for your help.

Rafael Grecco:

Hi Fernando,

I didn't know I could use all instances on the same account. That's perfect! That way I don't need the demo accounts.

I'm also reading about portable mode, trying to figure out what are the difference/advantages of using it.

Thank you very much for your help.

You are welcome!
Reason: