Indicators: Candle Patterns - page 3

ottimo lavoro

grazie Fabrizio.

malmsteen_2002:

Where's the ex4 file?,,can't use it cos it only provides mq4 file...

there is no((

Forex индикаторы

Andrey (mql_fx4), Click on "MetaEditor" -> "MQL Navigator" -> "Files" -> "indicators", click (or double click) on "Candle Patterns.mq4". Click on "Compile".

Either right click on a chart and select "Template" -> "Candle patterns". Or click on "Indicators" -> "Custom" -> "Candle Patterns" and modify the parameter "Inputs" (if required).

25.02.2009 01:12 sxTed

Hi Teddy,

You've done an incredible job on this, amazing really.

I'm currently building an EA based on Ichimoku, and the isolation of specific price action patterns and began the tedious process of writing out all the candles when I remembered your awesome Candle Patterns indicator.

What I'm wondering is if you have lying around somewhere a version of this WITHOUT all the bells and whistles, no audio, text labels, csv files etc. Just the basic patterns configuration, I don't need all the other stuff, just the patterns and a way to have the pattern name or pattern number returned to my EA from the idicator. I want to let the EA make decisions based on specific formations.

I've spent a good deal of time now staring aimlessly at your flawless code, but this is so tightly written that I don't see any way to untangle it to filter out what I have no need for.

Thanks so much again for the incredible work you've done and I hope to hear back from you.

Tai

Hi Tai,

Please look at my comment dated 05.01.2009 which could be a solution where your expert would run with Candle Patterns indicator on the same chart.

Thank you for liking the indicator. Take care, Teddy.

sxTed:

Hi Tai,

Please look at my comment dated 05.01.2009 which could be a solution where your expert would run with Candle Patterns indicator on the same chart.

Thank you for liking the indicator. Take care, Teddy.

Thanks Teddy, you're the man!

Tai

Tai, be aware that the name of the candle pattern as well as the message "Buy" or "Sell" is displayed at times, see symbolic constants #define M_BUY and #define M_SELL

Take care, Teddy.

sxTed:

Tai, be aware that the name of the candle pattern as well as the message "Buy" or "Sell" is displayed at times, see symbolic constants #define M_BUY and #define M_SELL

Take care, Teddy.

Yeah I saw that thanks.

I'm wondering if there might be an issue. I entered all the patterns into into my EA separated into sections High, Medium, Low reliability as per CandleStickers rating system, this way it's very simple to comment out a specific pattern that you don't want processed.

This works great except that hardly any patterns outside the low reliability indecision patterns are ever found. For instance I ran EUR/USD on 15 minute chart for an entire year looking only for High Reliability patterns, and it found 1 for an entire year. ONE. I know this can't be right, I see some of these patterns on a daily basis trading manually so I know they aren't this rare to turn up only once in a year.

So I then ran it again looking for High/Medium reliability ... 6 trades in a year. They were all winners which is awesome, but obviously we'll not be able to eat on only 6 trades a year.

I did this over an over until finally adding all the patterns, not until all the low rel indecision patterns were searched did we actually start to get trades, but of course, they aren't smart trades and about 60% of them lose money on SL.

I guess my question is ... what results have you experienced with High Reliability patterns, how many, how often etc, and is it possible there's something awry in the pattern matching that is filtering out H/R patterns, I can't see anything, but I thought I should bring it up just in case.

Thanks again Teddy for your responses, I appreciate the help :)

Tai

Tai,

In Candlestickers rating system the High reliability patterns are mostly comprised of between 3 to 5 candles in a pattern. The algorythm in function Pattern() first test's for patterns comprised of 5 candles, then 4 ... down to 1. Patterns comprised of 2 or 3 candles have been detected quite often by "Candle Patterns" Custom Indicator. In Note 1 of the preamble to my program I stated that "While testing, the indicator has not encountered patterns comprised of 4 or 5 candles...".

You say "For instance I ran EUR/USD on 15 minute chart for an entire year looking only for High Reliability patterns, and it found 1 for an entire year. ONE. " Results do vary from broker to broker and from real and demo charts but I found the following on EURUSD,M15 during the last three weeks on Trading Server: UWC-Demo.com of Broker: United World Capital Ltd at www.uwcfx.com (in Inputs opposite variable "MaxBarsToScanForPatterns" set value to "55000" (or greater)).

2009.06.18 09:00 Medium Bullish Engulfing

2009.06.19 16:45 High Bearish Dark Cloud Cover

2009.06.23 10:45 High Bearish Dark Cloud Cover

2009.06.23 14:45 High Bearish Dark Cloud Cover (and the market climbed a further 130 traditional pips)

2009.06.24 03:45 Medium Bullish Harami

2009.06.25 09:45 High Bearish Dark Cloud Cover

2009.07.03 22:45 High Piercing Line

2009.07.10 20:15 High Bearish Dark Cloud Cover

As Steve Nison in his book "Japanes Candlestick Charting Techniques" pointed out "Candlestick charts are flexible, because candlestick charts can be used alone or in combination with other technical analysis techniques. A significant advantage attributed to candlestick charting techniques is that these techniques can be used in addition to, not instead of, other technical tools".

Some patterns are more suitable for certain instruments, the "FTSE" futures will be populated with lots of "Doji's" with only one or two yielding good results, yet a "Doji" with small legs appears on the "DJIA" and causes a stampede in the opposite direction to the current trend.

I tested the profitability of individual patterns without much success, however in combination of reversal patterns hitting a moving average then the picture looks rosier, also a "White Marubozu" or "Long White Candle" followed by a "Black Marubozu" or "Long Black Candle", independant of other indicators, is usually a good reversal sign, also single candle patterns like "Spinning Top's" and "High Wave's".

The values for Candle comparisons "iVeryNear" and "iVerySmallBody" were estimated and after scrutiny are working. The patterns are heavily reliant on sizes for the candle body and shadows (tails) and by inspection represent the different sizes "Marubozu", "Candle" and "Small Candle".

Reason: