is it necessary to download historic tick data on MQL5?

hello, 

I use Tickstory to download real tick data on MT4.

I am new in MT5 and I have heard it is not necessary to download real tick data on MT5 as it connects directly and automatically to the broker data server. Is that correct?

one disadvantage of testing EA in MT4 is we need to use a fixed spread. Is it possible to test an EA in MT5 with real tick data and real spread used in each tick?

thansk and best regards.

FXreedom:

I am new in MT5 and I have heard it is not necessary to download real tick data on MT5 as it connects directly and automatically to the broker data server. Is that correct?

Correct.

FXreedom:

Is it possible to test an EA in MT5 with real tick data and real spread used in each tick?

Yes. 

Just a summary about: All (not yet) about Strategy Tester, Optimization and Cloud

----------------

Testing trading strategies on real ticks and the explanation is on this post.

----------------

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

All (not yet) about Strategy Tester, Optimization and Cloud

Sergey Golubev, 2017.07.22 07:31

The article:

Testing trading strategies on real ticks

The article provides the results of testing a simple trading strategy in three modes: "1 minute OHLC" using only Open, High, Low and Close prices of minute bars; detailed modeling in "Every tick" mode, as well as the most accurate "Every tick based on real ticks" mode applying actual historical data.

Comparing the results allows us to assess the quality in various modes, as well as helps us to use the tester more efficiently in order to receive results faster. "1 minute OHLC" mode allows receiving quick estimated test results, "Every tick" mode is closer to reality, while testing on real ticks is most accurate but time-consuming. Keep in mind that errors in a trading robot's logic may affect the number of trading operations making the strategy test results more susceptible to a selected test mode.

hello Enrique and Sergey. Thanks for your quick replies.

Is the tick data the real tick data of each broker (this information may vary according to the broker) or is it a general database taken by MT5 for example from Metaquotes?

I asked to my broker support team and they said it is a general information from Metaquotes and not the real broker historic data, but I think the guy was not sure.

best regards.

FXreedom:

hello Enrique and Sergey. Thanks for your quick replies.

Is the tick data the real tick data of each broker (this information may vary according to the broker) or is it a general database taken by MT5 for example from Metaquotes?

I asked to my broker support team and they said it is a general information from Metaquotes and not the real broker historic data, but I think the guy was not sure.

best regards.

In case of real tick backtesting/data on MT5 - yes, those are the real tick data from the broker:

-----------

Testing trading strategies on real ticks

If you need the most accurate representation of history data in the strategy tester, use "Every tick based on real ticks" mode. In this mode, the tester downloads real ticks from a broker's trade server and uses them to display the price development. In case real ticks are absent for some time intervals, the tester simulates the price just like in the "Every tick" mode. Thus, if the broker has all history of the required symbols, you can perform testing of real historical data without artificial modeling. The drawback of the mode is a significant increase in test time as shown in the comparison table above.
Reason: