Simple Question About How Custom Indicators \ EA's Read other Indicators

Hello!

I was looking to request a project in Freelance but had a quick question I was wondering if someone could help me with... It would be much appreciated!!!

When a programmer designs a custom indicator... say for instance, that draws an arrow when the FastMA cross the SlowMA, only if RSI > 50...

Is the RSI programmed into the indicator, at a preset value, such as an RSI (14)

Or does one plot the RSI (14) on the chart, or RSI of ANY period such as RSI (10) or RSI (20) and the custom indicator will just take the data from whichever RSI is attached to the chart?

Could the Custom Indicator use whichever 2 moving averages are on the chart or would they be programmed into the Custom Indicator itself?

The essential question....

Should I have the Periods for each indicator as a variable in the Custom Indicator itself? Or can it just process whatever indicators are currently attached to the chart?

If a criteria is "Price must be above ALL 4 Moving Averages at time of signal" can it use 4 different moving averages that are plotted on the chart, or would those MA's need to be input as variables in the Custom Indicator itself?

Thank you so much for your time and input!!!

-Mitch

As the mt4-doc is not easily available online open the editor, press F1 and search for iCustom - that's how a user indicator can be called.

In order to find out how everything works take an existing EA (preferable with the indicators you would like to use) and study it and then amend it acc. to your needs.

If you don't understand what a function does just place the cursor on it and press F1 - it's a lot faster than an answer here..!

MitchKleids11:

Is the RSI programmed into the indicator, at a preset value, such as an RSI (14)

Or does one plot the RSI (14) on the chart, or RSI of ANY period such as RSI (10) or RSI (20) and the custom indicator will just take the data from whichever RSI is attached to the chart?

Could the Custom Indicator use whichever 2 moving averages are on the chart or would they be programmed into the Custom Indicator itself?

Should I have the Periods for each indicator as a variable in the Custom Indicator itself?

Or can it just process whatever indicators are currently attached to the chart?

1. Would never program it into the indicator. Just read the value from iRSI. The exception would be a RSI of something other than price.
  2. Code has no eyes. Can't see what's on the chart.
  3. Would never program it into the indicator. Just read the value from iMA. The exception would be a MA other than the three supported (SMA, EMA, or WMA,) and that would be an iCustom call to another indicator.
  4. Up to you. Why not have periods and types?
  5. № 2

Carl Schreiber: As the mt4-doc is not easily available online open the editor...

For reference, here are the Links for various sites and docs:

MQL4MetaTrader 4
MQL4: automated forex trading, strategy tester and custom indicators with MetaTrader
MQL4: automated forex trading, strategy tester and custom indicators with MetaTrader
  • www.mql4.com

Thanks for all your input!

Learned that I could explore making one myself, even with minimal MQL knowledge, by looking at other indcators\EAs.... I've considered it, might give it a shot.

ALSO

Sounds like during my freelance request it would be ideal to request the ability to input the RSI + MA periods as options within the indicator... As I suspected...

Thanks for all your input!!! Much appreciated!!

Reason: