Discussion of article "Optimizing a strategy using balance graph and comparing results with "Balance + max Sharpe Ratio" criterion"

New article Optimizing a strategy using balance graph and comparing results with "Balance + max Sharpe Ratio" criterion has been published:

In this article, we consider yet another custom trading strategy optimization criterion based on the balance graph analysis. The linear regression is calculated using the function from the ALGLIB library.

MACD Sample balance regression.mq5, EURUSD, H4, no forward test

The following parameters are selected for optimization:

Pic. 19. Tester, Inputs tab

Pic. 19. Tester, Inputs tab

I will conduct the same three tests for MACD Sample balance regression EA:

• Test 1: Optimizing the standard "Balance + max Sharp Ratio" parameter
  • Test 2: Optimizing the "Custom max" custom parameter, while the traded volumes optimization parameter is 'false'
  • Test 3: Optimizing the "Custom max" custom parameter, while the traded volumes optimization parameter is 'true'

Author: Vladimir Karputov

Hey for some reason my file won't include the balanceregression. Any way to troubleshoot this? I have it saved in my files and under include. 

Scott David Maclean :

Hey for some reason my file won't include the balanceregression. Any way to troubleshoot this? I have it saved in my files and under include. 

1. Read the error description and check your paths.

2. If you have any mistake, please provide reproducible results: at least you need a complete code and at least you need proof of the presence of files in the specified folders.

have a general question : why when we are populating arrays of trade results, we only consider trades with positive balance impacts? i.e. why  arr_profits  is only filled with trades of (commission + swap + profit) > 0.0 ?

aren't the dips in the balance curve (which are the results if loss of trades ) also affecting the LR line and hence the GetProfitStability?

Reason: