Metatrader5 Strategy Tester Limitations on the Cloud Network: how to fix? - page 2

Fernando Carreiro:

In MT4 FXT files, you have multiple very large files, each for its own time-frame.

In MT5, the files are stored as yearly history data files ("yyyy.hcs") and monthly tick data files ("yyyymm.tkc") files.

So there is no repetition for each time-frame, which greatly reduces the amount of disk-space as apposed to MT4 with its combination of HST files and rather large FTX files containing Dukascopy tick data.

And that is why size does not matter (MT5). Tick is tick regardless. Study the MT5 tester manual/articles. It is a different way of thinking as to MT4 testing. There are also some peculiarities to be aware of.

Enrique Dangeroux: And that is why size does not matter (MT5). Tick is tick regardless. Study the MT5 tester manual/articles. It is a different way of thinking as to MT4 testing. There are also some peculiarities to be aware of.

Don't tell me, tell Carl! When you quote me (reply to my post), I am the one that gets the notification, instead of who you really wanted to answer, namely Carl.

Fernando Carreiro:
Don't tell me, tell Carl! When you quote me (reply to my post), I am the one that gets the notification, instead of who you really wanted to answer, namely Carl.

Dear Fernando, just that i quote you does not mean i reply to you. However i appologize if it seems to be the case.

Enrique Dangeroux: Dear Fernando, just that i quote you does not mean i reply to you. However i appologize if it seems to be the case.

Don't worry, there is no need to apologize - I am only "pulling your leg"! I know that you were just answering Carl, but unfortunately he will not get the notification and won't know that you answered him!

You see, the "system", sends out a notification (to mobile phone with a distinctive "pling") when you reply/quote a post, so I am the one that got notified about it, instead of Carl.

Ah, ok, now I understand!

And size matters as the size of the quotes for one year based on 1 minute (yyyy.hcs) is a lot smaller than the size of all the files with the ticks (yyyy01.tkc - yyyy12.tkc)!

Thank you, Fernando!

Enrique, what do you mean when you say:

There are also some peculiarities to be aware of.

Thanks in advance,

Calli

This article should help.
Creating and testing custom symbols in MetaTrader 5
Creating and testing custom symbols in MetaTrader 5
  • MetaQuotes Software Corp.
  • www.mql5.com
Creating custom symbols pushes the boundaries in the development of trading systems and financial market analysis. Now traders are able to plot charts and test trading strategies on an unlimited number of financial instruments.

Alain Verleyen: This article should help.

Already given in one of my previous posts here on this thread: https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/216120#comment_5800887

Metatrader5 Strategy Tester Limitations on the Cloud Network: how to fix?
Metatrader5 Strategy Tester Limitations on the Cloud Network: how to fix?
  • www.mql5.com
Hi there, this message is about two important declared limitations of Metatrader5 Strategy Tester: 1 Customs symbols cannot be used in the Cloud Ne...

Fernando Carreiro:

Already given in one of my previous posts here on this thread: https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/216120#comment_5800887

Ah sorry I missed it.

Alain Verleyen:
Ah sorry I missed it.

Hi everyone

I started this 3d on yesterday and appreciate the high interest.

Fernando refers to this part of the article, about question #1: Customs symbols cannot be used in the Cloud Network

The use of MQL5 Cloud Network for optimization using custom symbols is not allowed.
This is due to the fact that custom symbols with the same names, but different price histories may exist on computers of different traders.
In addition to the discrepancy of test results between network agents, this may cause mass reloading and synchronization of history data, which leads to excessive internet usage.

Actually I own some desktop computers to run my backtest optimization in LAN.
Transferring my price data history (dloaded from Dukascopy) from MT5 to LAN Agents is great.
But it does not improve what I was used to do with MT4. It is just easier. Not faster, guys!
With MT5 I have one single MT5 to collect optimization results from all desktop computer in Lan.

The Cloud Network should give the real boost. But the limitation about the using of custom symbol in Cloud network put the brake on...

MetaTester and Remote Agents - Algorithmic Trading, Trading Robots - MetaTrader 5 Help
MetaTester and Remote Agents - Algorithmic Trading, Trading Robots - MetaTrader 5 Help
  • www.metatrader5.com
Expert Advisors are tested and optimized using the so called agents, which are separate services on a computer for performing calculations. The...

siolibros:

Hi everyone

I started this 3d on yesterday and appreciate the high interest.

Fernando refers to this part of the article, about question #1: Customs symbols cannot be used in the Cloud Network

The use of MQL5 Cloud Network for optimization using custom symbols is not allowed.
This is due to the fact that custom symbols with the same names, but different price histories may exist on computers of different traders.
In addition to the discrepancy of test results between network agents, this may cause mass reloading and synchronization of history data, which leads to excessive internet usage.

Actually I own some desktop computers to run my backtest optimization in LAN.
Transferring my price data history (dloaded from Dukascopy) from MT5 to LAN Agents is great.
But it does not improve what I was used to do with MT4. It is just easier. Not faster, guys!
With MT5 I have one single MT5 to collect optimization results from all desktop computer in Lan.

The Cloud Network should give the real boost. But the limitation about the using of custom symbol in Cloud network put the brake on...

Complaining about the problem is not going to resolve it. Instead, focus on finding a solution.

So, consider coding your own solution by dividing your optimisations among the various PC's you have and use the MQL5 functions for working with optimisation results so as to consolidate your statistics.

Reason: