Little question of a newbie

Hello,

I'm all new to the metatester and I just wanted to know what would happen if I shutdown the pc or when the power goes out or the windows update decides to just reboot for hours.

Well perhaps you could also tell me if it was possible to install the Metatester under Linux.

Kind regards,
Nico M.

Yes Linux works too.

And you can disable updates on windows.

Marco vd Heijden: And you can disable updates on windows.

Not on Windows 10 Home! Only possible if you upgrade to Pro!

PS! Obviously, there are "hacks" to prevent that on Windows 10 Home, but most users don't know how or are not comfortable with that!

Fernando Carreiro:

Not on Windows 10 Home! Only possible if you upgrade to Pro!

PS! Obviously, there are "hacks" to prevent that on Windows 10 Home, but most users don't know how or are not comfortable with that!

Another good reason to ditch windows.

It should have never seen the light of day...

VarmintLP:
Hello,

I'm all new to the metatester and I just wanted to know what would happen if I shutdown the pc or when the power goes out or the windows update decides to just reboot for hours.

Well perhaps you could also tell me if it was possible to install the Metatester under Linux.

Kind regards,
Nico M.

Hi, It's depend on how you are trading, if you have no EA or automatic trading then no problem, if you open a trade and you set a stop and take profit you can stop your PC and go sleep, the stop and take profit work on the broker server.

about linux yes : https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/625

Regards

MetaTrader 5 on Linux
MetaTrader 5 on Linux
  • MetaQuotes Software Corp.
  • www.mql5.com
Linux is a Unix-like computer operating system assembled under the model of free and open source software development and distribution. Linux systems are widely used in smartphones and server hardware. Many home PC users prefer it to MS Windows series. In this article, you will find out how to work in MetaTrader 5 via one of the Linux versions - Ubuntu.

Marco vd Heijden:

Another good reason to ditch windows.

It should have never seen the light of day...

Well I just asked because I still have some pcs which could run with linux. But for the Linux I will need wine I guess.

Well MT4 runs flawlessly on Linux, but MT5, unfortunately not so, it generates many errors.

I send a error log to service desk and i never got a response.

Tarik Aljanabi:

Hi, It's depend on how you are trading, if you have no EA or automatic trading then no problem, if you open a trade and you set a stop and take profit you can stop your PC and go sleep, the stop and take profit work on the broker server.

about linux yes : https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/625

Regards

Well I only want to use the MetaTester to share some resources I got at home.

VarmintLP:
Well I only want to use the MetaTester to share some resources I got at home.

If that is the case use windows.

And by that i mean a real machine nothing virtual.

Marco vd Heijden:

If that is the case use windows.

And by that i mean a real machine nothing virtual.

Alright so the metatester is only for windows. Cool.
But I still have no answer to my real question.

What happens when the MetaTester runs and I just shut down the pc? What happens to the current task. Will it be ended or canceled or wait until the pc comes up again?
Please someone could tell me I'm sure of it.

If the answer is they will take my first born son then I'm fine with that.

VarmintLP:
Alright so the metatester is only for windows. Cool.
But I still have no answer to my real question.

What happens when the MetaTester runs and I just shut down the pc? What happens to the current task. Will it be ended or canceled or wait until the pc comes up again?
Please someone could tell me I'm sure of it.

If the answer is they will take my first born son then I'm fine with that.

That is obvious! If the PC shuts down, the task stops half way and is thus lost. The MQL5 Cloud will restart that task on another MetaTester on another PC on the cloud!

This is also why the testing is split up into many sub-tasks and spread out over many Testers all over the Cloud!

Reason: