Is 'Allow DLL import' and 'Allow modification of signal setting ' in MQL4 Indicators dangerous?

For example the indicator such as FFCal Headline inform the news in FX, It has to allow DLL import. However, the sentence below make me hesitate to do that.

Is DLL dangerous?

Yes and No.

Unlike MQL that is running in a sand box which protected by MetaTrader, DLL can access all information and files on your computer. From this perspective we can say DLL is dangerous.

However, using DLL is nothing different than you download and run any software from the internet, include MetaTrader itself. Why do you dare to run MT4 terminal after you download from your broker website without any hesitation? Because your trust MetaQuote. So if you trust the vendor who provides you the EA/Indicator with DLL, DLL is safe to you.

So, anyone know the truth about running such indicators on MQL4, that is reliable or not? Please help to clarify. Thank you very much in advance. 

All the products in the Market are not having DLL - Rules of Using the Market Service

1. The Product offered through the Market service can be provided only as a compiled file with the EX5/EX4 extension.
  2. Products must not contain calls to any DLL, including Microsoft Windows system libraries.
Rules of Using the Market Service
Rules of Using the Market Service
  • www.mql5.com
General Provisions and Conditions of Use service Market

Rules of Using the Virtual Hosting Service MetaTrader (Forex VPS)

No DLLs are allowed on a Virtual terminal. There is no physical capacity to use DLLs there.

If a program launched on a Virtual terminal tries to call a function from any DLL, this EX4/EX5 program is immediately stopped due to a critical error. Any DLL calls are forbidden.

Sergey Golubev:

Rules of Using the Virtual Hosting Service MetaTrader (Forex VPS)

No DLLs are allowed on a Virtual terminal. There is no physical capacity to use DLLs there.

If a program launched on a Virtual terminal tries to call a function from any DLL, this EX4/EX5 program is immediately stopped due to a critical error. Any DLL calls are forbidden.

Thank a lot for your answer. Please verify the images attached below. There is the requirement for Allow the DLL import whenever runs this indicator on the MT4. So, does it means this indicator do not allow to run on Mata Trader 4?

PS: Normally, during week day Mon-Fri, there will be the lists of news appear on the indicator.

Files:
FFCAL.01.jpg  412 kb
FFCAL.02.jpg  497 kb
FFCAL.03.jpg  496 kb

ponlapatc:

Thank a lot for your answer. Please verify the images attached below. There is the requirement for Allow the DLL import whenever it runs the MT4. So, does it means this indicator do not allow to run on Mata Trader 4? (Sorry, I mention wrong about MQL4 on the first post)

PS: Normally, during week day Mon-Fri, there will be the lists of news appear on the indicator.

You confused MT4 with MQL5 VPS.
In MT4 - you can allow dll.

If you are using MT4 on MQL5 VPS so "allow dll" will not work.

----------------

Personally, I am having few news indicators (and NewsTrader EA) with allow dll and not a problem at all.

Sergey Golubev:

You confused MT4 with MQL5 VPS.
In MT4 - you can allow dll.

If you are using MT4 on MQL5 VPS so "allow dll" will not work.

----------------

Personally, I am having few news indicators (and NewsTrader EA) with allow dll and not a problem at all.

Hi, Yes In MT4, I can allow the dll, But the problem is the issue of hacker and reliability of the source that provide such indicator. As I know they can do 'everything' on the computer, depending on the code that they wrote in the dll. So if the indicator come from any individual source, personally, I consider it quit dangerous to use it.

Thank very much again for your assisstance.

ponlapatc:

Hi, Yes In MT4, I can allow the dll, But the problem is the issue of hacker and reliability of the source that provide such indicator. As I know they can do 'everything' on the computer, depending on the code that they wrote in the dll. So if the indicator come from any individual source, personally, I consider it quit dangerous to use it.

Thank very much again for your assisstance.

They can't do 'everything', you can see the list of DLL functions which the indicator is using in the Dependencies tab of its properties, just check those function if they are safe to you.

Thanks for your reply, I really found it helpful.
Mohammad Hossein Sadeghi:
They can't do 'everything', you can see the list of DLL functions which the indicator is using in the Dependencies tab of its properties, just check those function if they are safe to you.
Reason: