Have you successfully analysed any broker api protocol?

Hey,

As I have learned a lesson about the drop of MT4 Client API from MetaQuotes recently, I feel we had better develop the API by ourself. Just in case broker drop the api support, there would be no impact on our trading robots.

I have been trying to analyse the communication protocol by sniffing packets, and I failed, because Oanda, FXCM, and MT4 use SSL encryption. I know some programmers such as DynaOrder and HyperOrder have successfully analyzed the protocols. Too bad that 3rd-party components are not suitable for us, for the reason that we are demanding for more flexibility, reliability, and independence.

All in all, please keep me in touch if you happen to have success or interest in analyzing any broker's protocol.

Cheers!

sc0rpi0n,

I'm just thinking out loud as I type this and I'm not aware of the workload and/or effort involved so please excuse me from the beginning.

I presume you've written the server/client model to be a modular form. I'm sure the sniffing of broker communication packets is going to be fraught with danger and most likely will contravene that broker's intellectual property rights - something we're best to avoid. Breaking laws and people's/company's rights is a bad thing.

I'm also presuming there are a number of different broker APIs available. Are these free to use as was the MT3 API or are these expensive little bunnies to obtain ? Depending on cost, I'm happy to chip in some funds with what I'm able.

My thinking was an ongoing project to develop and implement multiple API streams so there is insurance against the deplorable antics we've recently witnessed from MetaQuotes.

Also and dependant on when the current MT3 brokers are going to terminate the current MT3 API, perhaps successful trading with the FXFisherman package can lead to the purchase of further APIs to further futureproof the solution.

[Rambling Mode OFF]

Rastarr,

Thank you so much for your advice. Well, the fxfisherman server is written in modular form--you're right. I can at ease add more broker interfaces.

You are right that we would have laws problem if we did so. I see we had better go with licensed API then. As the bot makes profit, we will afford to license better quality APIs--the most expensive license I have seen is FXCM's ($250,000).

scorpion:
the most expensive license I have seen is FXCM's ($250,000).

Holy Whole in a DoughNut, Batman - $250,000 !!!!! Now that's a nice piece of change if they can get it

Do you have some kind of list of currently available broker APIs ? Maybe we can make a start on some due diligence for them in an effort to determine a starting point? I'm in favour of still using the MT3 API to kick start the project with the other APIs being worked on in the background.

I'm just sorry I can't help you with any of that code myself - I suspect you probably would prefer to do it anyway

Rastarr:
Do you have some kind of list of currently available broker APIs ?

Let's me check...

1. GainCaptial's AutoEx API is free, but need $20,000 deposit. Bad that the execution time is very slow.

2. Oanda's API costs $600/month, but $50 discount for each $1M in trade volume until free when reaches $12M. First two months are free, but with $600 setup fee. It's most likely that I will, no choice, go with this API next two months or so.

3. DynaOrder's APIs for FXCM cost $250 one-time fee. The downside is that it is a unreliable 3rd-party component, and the support looks inferior.

4. HyperOrder is free, but it may install spywares, adwares, and viruses.

Scorpion, I am not sure, but you could check Dukascopy. /go?link=https://www.dukascopy.com , they have a java based trading platform , here is something written about API`s https://www.mql5.com/go?link=http://www.dukascopy.com/swiss/english/bp/int2/ , and they have the lowest spreads in the industry ( as they state ) 1.8 pips on EURUSD .

Wow, Dukascopy's API is awesome! and the spread is only 2pips! Thanks Ravique.

Also Global Forex Trading (GFT) has an API. Needs $100,000 USD in equity.

me (scorpion):
Wow, Dukascopy's API is awesome! and the spread is only 2pips! Thanks Ravique.

Just got a reply from Dukascopy: The API is available in condition that you have at least deposited 100’000USD, and then you will pay 1’000USD monthly flat fe

I thought it is for free, but it turns out to be more expensive than Oanda's.

Hm , that is a pitty .

So Scorpion , where are we at ? What API , from your point of view is suitable for us ?

Oh and also i pm d you

From the Yahoo Group:

'They told me that MT3.83 is there as long as anyone wants it to be.

They are holding off on MT4 until the transfer of accounts from MT3 to MT4 works.'

So the existing MT3 API should really be good enough til profits amount to the purchase of additional APIs ?

Reason: