Request for a clear, rewarded and professional beta channel for MT4 and MT5. - page 3

EnriqueD:

I think Marco is right. They have misunderstand. This is a serious liability and has nothing to do with the MQ demo server.

I find it remarkable this thread has not gone viral. Seems like most don't care. If this is truly the case I can understand MetaQuotes wil have no incentive to adress the issue.

I was also expecting it to be more popular. Serious disappointment.

Rule #1 in forex is to minimize or if possible exclude risk. Running Beta versions in production environment is bad, very bad practice. I don't think there would be any debate about this. At the moment the only way to exclude this risk, is to not use MetaTrader

Exactly. Maybe I didn't find the good words to explain it to Metaquotes...while it's just amazing to have to explain it.

They get beta testers for free, I suppose that's their main reason.

EnriqueD:

At the moment the only way to exclude this risk, is to not use MetaTrader

No, you can use MT and effectively disable updates with proper limitation on access rights on file system level. I don't use UAC at all, yet automatic updates are blocked and I update platform only at my personal decision.

Stanislav Korotky:
No, you can use MT and effectively disable updates with proper limitation on access rights on file system level. I don't use UAC at all, yet automatic updates are blocked and I update platform only at my personal decision.

Of course you can use a private solution like this, but that's not the point discussed here.

Also what you are doing is against the EULA :

From time to time, the Product may download and install updates automatically. These updates are required to maintain software compatibility, provide security updates or debugging, or offer new features, functionality or versions. You agree to receive such updates from MetaQuotes in order to continue using the Product and MetaQuotes' Software. You further agree that You may have to enter into a renewed version of this Agreement, in the event you download, install or use a new or updated version of the Product or MetaQuotes' Software.

So Enrique is right, on a legal point of view, the only way is not use MT4 or MT5.

Sure there are ways around it, but only for the more advanced knowledgeable users. But Alain is right, it is not the point. 

The point is, no beta should be used in production. Period. Users should only receive stable versions. Period.

I have been thinking why there is little fuzz till now. Most users are not aware of this problem. So the siht needs to hit the fan first. When it does, MetaQuotes will have a problem. It is in their own interest to adress this issue.

I am also sure it is not because MetaQuotes will have free beta testers. Unless reports are sent automatically to them it would me sense. As far as i am aware this is not the case. So the feedback from these users not aware will be neglectable and therefor serves no purpose.

Alain Verleyen:

Of course you can use a private solution like this, but that's not the point discussed here.

I only noted that statement about ONLY way of not using MT is too strong. Of course, a separate beta channel should exist. Unfortunately, many MQ solutions are hardly understandable in my point of view. After years of debates with them on different problems, I just abstain from further talks.

As for the beta problem - ask as many users to create tickets in the service desk as possible.

EnriqueD:

I have been thinking why there is little fuzz till now. Most users are not aware of this problem. So the siht needs to hit the fan first. When it does, MetaQuotes will have a problem. It is in their own interest to adress this issue.

I am also sure it is not because MetaQuotes will have free beta testers. Unless reports are sent automatically to them it would me sense. As far as i am aware this is not the case. So the feedback from these users not aware will be neglectable and therefor serves no purpose.

Yes the are receiving bug reports "automatically", in the sense that on Russian forum, a lot of people are happy to be beta-tester, they open a topic or add a post and they are receiving an answer from Metaquotes CEO or other top developers. (Stanislav, correct me if I am wrong please). So I don't know if that's the main reason, but it matters from a company like Metaquotes which is far from being a giant like Google or Microsoft.

Stanislav Korotky:

I only noted that statement about ONLY way of not using MT is too strong. Of course, a separate beta channel should exist. Unfortunately, many MQ solutions are hardly understandable in my point of view. After years of debates with them on different problems, I just abstain from further talks.

As for the beta problem - ask as many users to create tickets in the service desk as possible.

You did it. I fully support that request.

Alain Verleyen:

Yes the are receiving bug reports "automatically", in the sense that on Russian forum, a lot of people are happy to be beta-tester, they open a topic or add a post and they are receiving an answer from Metaquotes CEO or other top developers. (Stanislav, correct me if I am wrong please). So I don't know if that's the main reason, but it matters from a company like Metaquotes which is far from being a giant like Google or Microsoft.

Yes, MQ people do answer on the forums, but that's not necessarily mean that they agree with you. ;-/ Often they have and promote their own point of view.

Reason: