.exe and .mq4 problems

Recently, when I add new custom indicators in my indicators folder on Metatrader 4, they don't appear. It's mainly the .exe files that don't appear, but sometimes the .mq4 files don't appear as well. Is there any reason this happens? And if so if you could explain a way to fix this that would be great. Thanks a lot.

Jaquanburton:
Recently, when I add new custom indicators in my indicators folder on Metatrader 4, they don't appear. It's mainly the .exe files that don't appear, but sometimes the .mq4 files don't appear as well. Is there any reason this happens? And if so if you could explain a way to fix this that would be great. Thanks a lot.

It is a problem of metatrader when you have a lot of indicators in the indicators folder (more than 512 ex4 files). You have to delete some of the indicators that you are not using and then the ones you can not see now will appear in the list

had same problem today...I have 18 indicators in my folder...soon to be 17...16...15:)...but jokes aside...not only I did not see ex file...it disappeared from my folder on my hard drive n...not once but about 3 times...after third time I simply gave up..:)

mladen:
It is a problem of metatrader when you have a lot of indicators in the indicators folder (more than 512 ex4 files). You have to delete some of the indicators that you are not using and then the ones you can not see now will appear in the list

Pava:
had same problem today...I have 18 indicators in my folder...soon to be 17...16...15:)...but jokes aside...not only I did not see ex file...it disappeared from my folder on my hard drive n...not once but about 3 times...after third time I simply gave up..:)

Virus ?

mladen:

I think i did actually have around that amount, and after I deleted most of them I have a total of 139 custom indicators, of which 20 are .exe files, but some of them still aren't appearing. What do you recommend doing? Just re-installing Metatrader 4?

I doubt it... mq4 works normally

mladen:
Virus ?

Jaquanburton:
I think i did actually have around that amount, and after I deleted most of them I have a total of 139 custom indicators, of which 20 are .exe files, but some of them still aren't appearing. What do you recommend doing? Just re-installing Metatrader 4?

No

Exit metatrader, delete the "mqlcache.dat" file first and let the metatrader recreate it on the next start and then check if you still have a problem

PS: you do not need to install metatrader. All you need to do is to copy it to some other folder, delete all the files from indicators folder and then copy one by one just the ones you need. And make a shortcut to that new copy (a shortcut to terminal.exe).

Pava:
I doubt it... mq4 works normally

Yes, but how are your files disappearing?

mladen:
No

Exit metatrader, delete the "mqlcache.dat" file first and let the metatrader recreate it on the next start and then check if you still have a problem

PS: you do not need to install metatrader. All you need to do is to copy it to some other folder, delete all the files from indicators folder and then copy one by one just the ones you need. And make a shortcut to that new copy (a shortcut to terminal.exe).

Ok I deleted the "mqlcache.dat" file in both the /experts and the /indicator folders, and re-started MT4 but it's still not working.

Jaquanburton:
Ok I deleted the "mqlcache.dat" file in both the /experts and the /indicator folders, and re-started MT4 but it's still not working.

Then I do not know what is happening

Either make a copy of the whole metatrader 4 folder to some other folder, delete al from indicators folder and then copy only the ones you need, or reinstall metatrader

PS : are you by chance using windows 7 or 8? If yes, then the chances are that your indicator files are not at the metatrader\indicators folder but in c:\documents and setting\username\applicationdata\.... . You have to find the correct folder where they are stored in that case

mladen:
Then I do not know what is happening Either make a copy of the whole metatrader 4 folder to some other folder, delete al from indicators folder and then copy only the ones you need, or reinstall metatrader

K, thanks a lot mladen, helpful as always.

Reason: