Disappearing indicator ?????

Hoping some of your really intelligent people here can help.

Put this indicator on my chart and the signals flash for a minute or two then disappear. Other times the signals will show up and stay but when I switch time frames the signals will disappear again and sometimes the signals stay as normal.

Now I know the nature of this indicator and how it will recalculate/repaint, I'm not talking about that.

I have tried a fresh install of Metatrader and if it helps I have build 432.

Maybe one of you coding gurus can figure this one out ?

Thank for any help that you guys can give.

godrich:

Put this indicator on my chart and the signals flash for a minute or two then disappear. Other times the signals will show up and stay but when I switch time frames the signals will disappear again and sometimes the signals stay as normal.

Now I know the nature of this indicator and how it will recalculate/repaint, I'm not talking about that.

Forgot to add that I have tried to adjust the settings on the indicator in the input section, no actual coding changes to the indicator though. Just tried the indicator again and it was working fine for a bit and behaving as normal and then the signals disappeared. Strange.......

godrich

What you have described could be a textbook definition of repainting indicators and why is there so much problems when one is trying to use such (due to the fact that you never know what can you expect the next from such indicators). I am not talking about recalculation now, but about plain repainting : it is not predictable (estimable) and that is one of the reasons why we should avoid the usage of such

godrich:

mladen:
godrich What you have described could be a textbook definition of repainting indicators and why is there so much problems when one is trying to use such (due to the fact that you never know what can you expect the next from such indicators). I am not talking about recalculation now, but about plain repainting : it is not predictable (estimable) and that is one of the reasons why we should avoid the usage of such

Thank you for your response mladen, I was hoping that you would see this post.

This problem seems to be different than repainting. What I have done with this indicator is to adjust the settings in the input section to 10,4,4 instead of the standard settings. I did this and it seemes to filter out a lot of the repainting/recalculation which plagues these types of indicators.

Indicator seemed to work fine on these settings but now when I run it the signals will show up on the chart (old and new) and then will completely disappear from the chart altogether, eben signals that are weeks/months old . Tends to happen when I try to switch between timeframes but sometimes all the signals will just disappear.

I tried to roll back to build 416 but the problem still occured.

Could you possibly run this on one of your charts with the above settings and see if you have the same problem ?

Thanks

godrich:
Thank you for your response mladen, I was hoping that you would see this post.

This problem seems to be different than repainting. What I have done with this indicator is to adjust the settings in the input section to 10,4,4 instead of the standard settings. I did this and it seemes to filter out a lot of the repainting/recalculation which plagues these types of indicators.

Indicator seemed to work fine on these settings but now when I run it the signals will show up on the chart (old and new) and then will completely disappear from the chart altogether, eben signals that are weeks/months old . Tends to happen when I try to switch between timeframes but sometimes all the signals will just disappear.

I tried to roll back to build 416 but the problem still occured.

Could you possibly run this on one of your charts with the above settings and see if you have the same problem ?

Thanks

Had a chance to mess around with this indicator some more today, really seems to be a display problem. There are times when the indicator works fine and there are times when I have absolutely no signals on my chart, none at all. I then have to switch between timeframes to get the signals to reappear. Needless to say when you are trying to use this indicator in a multi time frame manner this can be a bit frustrating.

Any help or solutions would really be appreciated....

As far as I remember all the versions I saw so far "behave" that way. If you want to avoid that than much more than just the changed bars need to be processed on a each new tick and then it will repaint way back

godrich:
Had a chance to mess around with this indicator some more today, really seems to be a display problem. There are times when the indicator works fine and there are times when I have absolutely no signals on my chart, none at all. I then have to switch between timeframes to get the signals to reappear. Needless to say when you are trying to use this indicator in a multi time frame manner this can be a bit frustrating. Any help or solutions would really be appreciated....

mladen:
As far as I remember all the versions I saw so far "behave" that way. If you want to avoid that than much more than just the changed bars need to be processed on a each new tick and then it will repaint way back

I'm sorry as I think my posts may have been a little misleading.

My problem is that ALL of the signals will disappear in the cycle identifier 2 window. Not just repaint, I will have no signals at all. Often when I first open the chart the signals will show for a second than will completely disappear.

Then I have to try switching between timeframes to get them to appear but even then it's hit and miss.

I did not have this issue on build 419 but I foolishly updated to build 432 and here we are. Strangely though the problem did not show right away with the update, but did occur shortly thereafter.

Just trying to get this sorted as I had neared completion of a system and this indicator was a fairly big part of it.

Any thoughts/suggestions or does anybody have a saved terminal copy of build 419 from FxPro saved ?

Thanks....

godrich

Was trying to reproduce the error you are describing, but could not (I am using build 432). Will see at Monday at real ticks coming in what will it do

godrich:
I'm sorry as I think my posts may have been a little misleading.

My problem is that ALL of the signals will disappear in the cycle identifier 2 window. Not just repaint, I will have no signals at all. Often when I first open the chart the signals will show for a second than will completely disappear.

Then I have to try switching between timeframes to get them to appear but even then it's hit and miss.

I did not have this issue on build 419 but I foolishly updated to build 432 and here we are. Strangely though the problem did not show right away with the update, but did occur shortly thereafter.

Just trying to get this sorted as I had neared completion of a system and this indicator was a fairly big part of it.

Any thoughts/suggestions or does anybody have a saved terminal copy of build 419 from FxPro saved ?

Thanks....

mladen:
godrich Was trying to reproduce the error you are describing, but could not (I am using build 432). Will see at Monday at real ticks coming in what will it do

Thanks Mladen, appreciate you taking the time.

You may have to change the first three settings in inputs to 10,4,4 instead of the default settings as that is what I did and when the problem surfaced.

Try out this one

It still is a repainting one (as it was told many time already) but at least id does not do the "disappearing act" as far as I could see so far. The upper is this one, and the lower is the unaltered one with the parameters you are using after letting it work for some time :

godrich:
Thanks Mladen, appreciate you taking the time. You may have to change the first three settings in inputs to 10,4,4 instead of the default settings as that is what I did and when the problem surfaced.

No, in this case it was not

It is a result of bad practice o using variables with global visibility to store "previous" values. The problem in case like that is simple. For example one bar has changed and previous value for some variable was 1. Indicator processes that one bar and save the "new previous value" of 2 (using these values just for sake of simplicity). Now new tick comes in and the indicator "thinks" that the previous value was 2 while all the time it should have been 1.

Errors like that usually happen when people forget the nature of time series data : that it is cumulated until certain period of time expires

xx3xxx:
is it 4 digit and 5 digit issue some of my favorite indicator disappear when the MT4 turn back into 4 digits
Reason: