Asi trendline strategy! - page 9

James the Giant:
Is it possible someone can be so great as to make ASI show up on the candle chart instead of its own window? That would be a ground breaking improvement and create many more possibilities for trend line strategies for everyone. Thanks!

Hi James,

Honestly, I'm not sure what ASI is doing for you... It is simply replicating price action in the subgraph... I bet that you yourself do not need the indicator at all... This is not my thread, but I bet if you speed up your mvg avg it will essentially reflect the same thing asi is... My point is this... it is knowing how to use trendlines that is the skill...

Cheers

A lot of people don't see the difference from ASI to the chart. I find it much more useful than candles and chart trend lines. It is like comparing a Triple Exponential MA to a Simple moving average. The ASI just adds heavy weight to the most recent price levels much like a moving average. This is useful because ASI reacts to S/R levels much faster than the chart. Also this allows for much less trend lines because all of the insignificant market spikes are eliminated.

And I have traded with simple trend lines without ASI, and only find it works 50% of the time no matter how picky you are on which trend lines you will trade on. But with ASI trend lines become more accurate, give more information and are less prone to fake moves.

Files:
t2_4.gif  45 kb

Does ASI create divergences?...than it's not like Moving Average...if you plot ASI on a main chart...will it still create divergence?...that would be slightly interesting...

Hello,

I just want to point out also the original way of trading like this was published in 1978 in Welles Welder's book "new concepts in technical trading systems" and was called system. It is also called system here:Accumulative Swing Index (ASI) (read first sentence)

but there is slight difference with James the Giants proposed strategy, that is the use of diagonal trendlines drawn on the ASI also the use of the 3period 3shift moving average. That is only difference, but still not yet system according to tsd rules about mt4 statements.

also, the asi is very similar to line chart or 1period moving average, the difference is that the asi shows divergence from price and also when the asi reads in negative (-) the long term trend is down, when positive (+) the longterm trend is up according to Welles Wilder's book.

In my opinion I am glad James has proposed this strategy that I might not have ever known existed otherwise.

Another good way to help you draw channels is to select either standard deviation channels or linear regression channels under the "insert" / "channels" tab on metatrader4 - they seem to auto-draw for you when you place them over price, or the asi indicator for that matter. Just another suggestion that might help...

kinjaheed:
Another good way to help you draw channels is to select either standard deviation channels or linear regression channels under the "insert" / "channels" tab on metatrader4 - they seem to auto-draw for you when you place them over price, or the asi indicator for that matter. Just another suggestion that might help... FROM: Kinjaheed

anything connected to "linear regression" is no go...it adjusts...therefore no pop...breaking of the trendline....

Pava:
anything connected to "linear regression" is no go...it adjusts...therefore no pop...breaking of the trendline....

Ok thanks,, I was kind of noticing that on the chart just now, it kept adjusting.

do you know if the standard deviation channels do the same?

kinjaheed:
Ok thanks,, I was kind of noticing that on the chart just now, it kept adjusting. do you know if the standard deviation channels do the same?

most probably...they are devious those channels:)

so the linear ones lie, and the deviation ones are devious......

alright, thanks for clearing that up for me Pava!

kinjaheed:
so the linear ones lie, and the deviation ones are devious...... alright, thanks for clearing that up for me Pava!

drawing trendlines is a hand job mostly:)

Reason: