Currency - Daily Movement

Which currencies have the greatest daily movement? Or are they all about the same?

Thanks!

GBP/JPY by far.... Max

USD/JPY is

average 200 pips perday

Ohh..Common..is this to be even doubted..even if you trade for a month you will know its GBPJPY daily range which even if all the other currencies added will not make it up...

common..who on earth will give u two times a day to correct yourself...with a 200 on a PIPS movement... ..even if you are wroung on the first 100 double it up with the second one and you are even

GBPJPY is the King

calvinwalker:
USD/JPY is average 200 pips perday

Not sure where you got your numbers from but from Alpari data and looking at only GBPUSD/USDCHF/EURUSD/USDJPY/USDCAD, USDJPY was well below GBPUSD. I think that GBPUSD was 141 pips a day. I don't have my results with me but I think USDJPY was at 100 or less.

Update:

Of the currencies I researched, this is what I found out:

Daily Pip Variance

GBPUSD 140.6

GBPCHF 128.6

USDCHF 112.04

EURUSD 99

EURJPY 97.2

USDCAD 94.4

USDJPY 92.2

AUDUSD 67.54

EURCHF 46.69

EURGBP 34.81

ra300z:

Update:

Of the currencies I researched, this is what I found out:

Daily Pip Variance

GBPUSD 140.60

GBPCHF 128.60

USDCHF 112.04

EURUSD 99.00

EURJPY 97.20

USDCAD 94.40

USDJPY 92.20

AUDUSD 67.54

EURCHF 46.69

EURGBP 34.81

Just realized I had Alpari data from GBYJPY. The daily pip movement ... 153.93.

Incidentally, one of the reasons I checked this is to measure volatility. I also wanted to know how often fractals occur on the various charts but here I will focus on D1. Fractals can give an idea of volatility, etc. Here are the results indicating the # of fractals that occur per bar (both highs and lows).

Fractal Frequency on D1

USDJPY 0.270922

USDCHF 0.269122

EURUSD 0.268741

USDCAD 0.268085

GBPUSD 0.267705

AUDUSD 0.26362

GBPJPY 0.25641

EURJPY 0.25

EURCHF 0.248239

GBPCHF 0.245033

EURGBP 0.234155

The GbpJpy is amazing if you can trade it properly and have a good broker that doesn't rob you with the spreads. I use FXCH and they offer 2pips (though they aren't MT4).

some scripts i run in mt4 and then mirror the trade in another broker which has better spreads, like phoenix, hedgehog, etc...

GK

GBP/JAP but that would have high spread if you want to get in and out better trade US/JAP it has almost the same trend and movement but you have lower spread ... just note that GBP/JAP has a mind of its own and its the most risky pair to trade.

But you must also take care about the value per PIP of each pair. They are different

gbp/jpy has 'lower' pip value then eur/usd for instance, so less pips of eur/usd worth like more pips of gbp/jpy.

Overall I guess is gbp/usd the most 'alive' pair, but also usd/chf is not bad, even if 1 pip is less then gbp/usd

etts:
But you must also take care about the value per PIP of each pair. They are different

gbp/jpy has 'lower' pip value then eur/usd for instance, so less pips of eur/usd worth like more pips of gbp/jpy.

Overall I guess is gbp/usd the most 'alive' pair, but also usd/chf is not bad, even if 1 pip is less then gbp/usd

Pip value? I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Standard account - 1 standard lot ->1 pip = $10

Mini account - 1 mini lot -> 1 pip = $1

Micro account - 1 micro lot -> 1 pip = 10 cents

It doesn't matter what pair you trade, the values are the same.

Can you further explain your idea of pip value?

ra300z:
Pip value? I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Standard account - 1 standard lot ->1 pip = $10

Mini account - 1 mini lot -> 1 pip = $1

Micro account - 1 micro lot -> 1 pip = 10 cents

It doesn't matter what pair you trade, the values are the same.

Can you further explain your idea of pip value?

Hi ra300z,

value per/pip are the same if you adjust also the amount of the trade depending on the pair.

But buying 100.000 eur/gbp or buy 100.000 gbp/usd is not the same value per pip for instance

Try to buy 100.000 eur/gbp and you will see that 1 pip worth about 25$

If you buy 100.000 gbp/usd 1 pip is about 10$

100.000 gbp/jpy is about 0.7$ / pip

etc

Reason: