Phoenix - Development+Suggestions - MQ4 in Post#1 - page 19

New Phoenix?

Darak, a rose by any other name... I'm sure the new version will live up to its designation, even if the change is only in the 2nd decimal place.

It is also possible that the failure of the settings converter is due to operator error. I'm not sure I understood the instructions correctly.

Autumn

Back testing and forward testing

I seem to be spinning my wheels here. I optimized on GPUSD with version 570, then ported the settings to 571. When I run the new settings on the same time period I get completely different results. Starting over with 571, but now I wonder whether I completely misunderstand the way the EA works in testing.

Hendrick says use PrefSetting false for (back)testing and manually set values of inputs. For live or demo forward testing, PrefSettings should be false, and the values from the code will be used. But then why bother doing backtesting if the values are going to be ignored when you do forward testing or go live?

Also, with MM=true for forward testing, is it not possible to set a lot size other than 1?

Please clarify. We need a clear, well-written manual to explain the EA's innerds and how to optimize for best results. Confused!

I replied in the FAQ forum autumnleaves, my answer is probably good for most normal users to see too.

I'll do some more testing on 5.7.1, I included a couple of changes, one of them to the signal processing based on a community suggestion. I will redo and undo the changes and make sure the system works the same.

Please keep in mind that different start dates or a slightly different setting could create completely different trades.

details

Sorry, my bad. I posted this message in the wrong thread.

Keep up the good work ladies & gentalmen.

New Settings file Conversion 5.7.0 to 5.7.1

The first settings file converter would only work with 5.7.0 to 5.7.F. Since 5.7.F did not become and official version, and 3 new optimize-able variables were added in 5.7.1 the original converter doesn't create a 5.7.1 file .

I've made a converter from 5,7.0 to 5.7.1. The 3 new optimize-able variables get 5 values each. I have arbitrarily set them as follows.

U_MinLot=0.01000000

U_MinLot,F=0

U_MinLot,1=0.01000000

U_MinLot,2=0.00000000

U_MinLot,3=0.00000000

U_MaxLot=99.00000000

U_MaxLot,F=0

U_MaxLot,1=99.00000000

U_MaxLot,2=0.00000000

U_MaxLot,3=0.00000000

U_GraceTrailingStop=0

U_GraceTrailingStop,F=0

U_GraceTrailingStop,1=0

U_GraceTrailingStop,2=0

U_GraceTrailingStop,3=0

Here are the two important points, when you test 5.7.0 against 5.7.1 to see if they still work the exactly the same.

1. You must ensure that the values you use for the 5 variables above for U_GraceTrailingStop match the values for the following fields.

P_Mode1_TrailingStop=0

P_Mode1_TrailingStop,F=0

P_Mode1_TrailingStop,1=0

P_Mode1_TrailingStop,2=0

P_Mode1_TrailingStop,3=0

They must match because previously both functions used the same variables.

2. You must keep the settings for the new MinLot and MaxLot as I have defaulted them.

So once you are satisfied that the coding is still working correctly, then you can change the 3 new variables in any way you want to.

Settings File Conversion

* Phoenix_EA_v5_7_0.mq4 into Phoenix_EA_v5_7_1.mq4

Settings File Conversion Steps

1. Open the EXCEL .xls file inside attachment phoenix 5.7.1.Convert.zip.

2. Close any other EXCEL files for safety.

3. Open, in a text editor, your ".set" file from directory "C:\Program Files\MetaTrader 4\tester".

4. Select and copy the whole file. a then cor for your editor do: a then 5. Go to the EXCEL Do a. That's key sequence changed. The spreadsheet is "read only" to protect you from destroying it.

6. Go back to your text editor do: athen v or for your editor do: athen

7. Save the file in your text editor.

Testing a Converted Settings File

1. Open Phoenix_EA_v5_7_0 in MetaTrader

2. Change some settings

3. Run a simulation.

4. Check the Report Tab

5. Save the settings file

6. Complete the Settings File Conversion Steps above.

7. Open Phoenix_EA_v5_7_1 in MetaTrader

8. Load the settings file (now converted)

9. Run the same simulation

10. Check the Report Tab (the result should be the same as step 4

You can repeat steps 3 to 10 again and again.

Files:

Documentation Division

daraknor

Try this, add the contents of this file to the end of all your EAs. It is what I use to document my work, and leave the code body clear of excessive comments and REMed out code. It has an area for udates, future improvements, purpose, usage, notes, and storage area for all your code that you remove but dont want to delete yet. Kind of like if you want to revert back at a later date the old functionality of the program. You never for get why you did something either. If you need to introduce a large comment into your code then just add a 'see NOTE X in doc' in the code body itself with added note in documentation. By putting it at the end of your code you can make it as long as you want without having to scroll through it each time you work on the EA.

The CockeyedCowboy

[Edit] Change my inititals and the preset date, in the code to who introduced the improvement and the date it was implimented.

New 5.7.1 Converter

Special thanks to PC for all the effort he put into creating the new 5.7.1 converter. Let us hope it does not become obsolete too soon.

Autumn

problem with 5.7.0

hi!

finally i can access forex-tsd after several hours breakdown.

anyway..

i got a problem with phoenix 5.7.

i use mode 3 and it executes only one order, not 3 as supposed.

the tp also is too high.. 130pips.

Files:
pho.zip  47 kb

CoolSter:
hi!

finally i can access forex-tsd after several hours breakdown.

anyway..

i got a problem with phoenix 5.7.

i use mode 3 and it executes only one order, not 3 as supposed.

the tp also is too high.. 130pips.

Coz initial settings starts now Phoenix in mode 1.

Then if you want to have Mode 3 to operate : go in the settings of Phoenix (Property) and change the fourth line : Phoenix Mode selected : 1>>to>> 3, enter... done...and do it on all graphs of pair(s) where Phoenix is "working".

Go also in thread Phoenix Faq : one of the last post of The Great Ala.... will explain you a lot of things... (in general read all the posts of Great Ala : very wise and documented. )

My 2c

bertbin:
Coz initial settings starts now Phoenix in mode 1.

Then if you want to have Mode 3 to operate : go in the settings of Phoenix (Property) and change the fourth line : Phoenix Mode selected : 1>>to>> 3, enter... done...and do it on all graphs of pair(s) where Phoenix is "working".

Go also in thread Phoenix Faq : one of the last post of The Great Ala.... will explain you a lot of things... (in general read all the posts of Great Ala : very wise and documented. )

My 2c

i already changed it to 3 before i start the EA.

You can see in the 'comment' inside the picture i attach before.

any idea?

Reason: