Exit strategies - page 3

Hi everyone i also think that MA should be good in the way Ms_Mel showed us. U can also use even for short trends the trend lines... try to get the trend line in close stick to every next candle in trend, when we've got up trend the bearish candle that will cross our trend line would be our signal (but not always) you can also try two EMA's for example (EMA 3 - yellow and EMA 18 red) follow the chart and You will see if this really works, another good point are two indicators namely: Trend Magic and Trigger Lines Alert, u use it like MA or trend line. When opposite candle is under or above (depend on trend) trigger line u can consider your exit, but u can also wait till the candle will cross trend magic or the trigger lines alert will change it color from blue/red to red/blue. Thats just my opinion and everyone can have his own i just wanted to share my thoughts with You guys and my last thought... if u got strategy to entry in high lows or high highs... so where is the problem U make ur entry for example... u see that's everything shows that the eur/usd will increase, so u go long, u made good start in great position, almost local low and u dont know when to exit... hmmm maybe when ur strategy will make the signal for going short ? hehe pretty good point greeting to all, Majkel

exit points

Hello

I have a few very good indicators which give good entry points, but unfortunatelly, their exit points aren't ideal and often bad.

The people often say when they start to trade and which signals they use, but not when they close the position...

I believe it's very difficult to find a good a variable exit point indicator, because it has to fit to the signal type and frequence of the main indicator...

so which indicators or which strategy to close your positions do you use?

leMai

leMai:
Hello

I have a few very good indicators which give good entry points, but unfortunatelly, their exit points aren't ideal and often bad.

The people often say when they start to trade and which signals they use, but not when they close the position...

I believe it's very difficult to find a good a variable exit point indicator, because it has to fit to the signal type and frequence of the main indicator...

so which indicators or which strategy to close your positions do you use?

leMai

Non-breaked S/R usually works very well (or not breaked range in higer TF)

How can i stop a trade when 2 MA just touches each other?

Hi!

I'm Norberto and this is my first post.May be the title's question is very obvious for many people but not for me...I was trying to modify an existing EA ( a simple 2 EMAs cross EA) but yet,without any fortune...

Many of these kind of EA's stop a trade just AFTER the 2 EMAs crosses...as all you know that could become sometimes a disaster...then,the question is...which would be the best method or code to add to the EA to solve this problem?...the idea is not waiting the cross...the idea is to stop the Buy or Sell position JUST when the values of both MAs are equal...i probed different things with "if" statements but nothing works....what i'm doing wrong?

Many thanks in advance!

You need to calculate MA values on previous Bar and current bar

usually it looks like this :

//this is last closed bar MA value

double fastMA1 = iMA(Symbol(),Period(),25,0,MODE_EMA,PRICE_CLOSE,1);

double slowMA1 = iMA(Symbol(),Period(),48,0,MODE_SMA,PRICE_CLOSE,1);

//this is previous bar MA Value

double fastMA2 = iMA(Symbol(),Period(),25,0,MODE_EMA,PRICE_CLOSE,2);

double slowMA2 = iMA(Symbol(),Period(),48,0,MODE_SMA,PRICE_CLOSE,2);[/CODE]

Now you can compare these values to detect a cross

if(fastMA1>slowMA1 && fastMA2<slowMA2){

return (1); //fast MA crossed slow MA from bottom Buy!

}

if(fastMA1slowMA2){

return (-1); //fast MA crossed slow MA from top Sell!

} [/CODE]

To make it easier to use you can make a function to detect a cross

[CODE]

int DetectCross(){

double fastMA1 = iMA(Symbol(),Period(),25,0,MODE_EMA,PRICE_CLOSE,1);

double fastMA2 = iMA(Symbol(),Period(),25,0,MODE_EMA,PRICE_CLOSE,2);

double slowMA1 = iMA(Symbol(),Period(),48,0,MODE_SMA,PRICE_CLOSE,1);

double slowMA2 = iMA(Symbol(),Period(),48,0,MODE_SMA,PRICE_CLOSE,2);

if(fastMA1>slowMA1 && fastMA2<slowMA2){

return (1);

}

if(fastMA1slowMA2){

return (-1);

}

return (0);

}

And use it from your code:

[CODE]

int start()

{

if(DetectCross()==1){

//up cross detected

//write your code here

}else if(DetectCross()==-1){

//down cross detected

//write your code here

}else{

//no cross

}

Hope this could help you.

Thanks

Mikhail

Mikhail !!!

Your answer is simply FAN-TAS-TIC and very very helpful too...very easy to understand...that's just what i was looking for...exellent!!...you're great man!!...

As a newbie, i'm very grateful for your answer .It's a nice "welcome" for me...

Many many thanks Mikhail and many thanks FOREX-TSD too for the opportunity you give us to learn more and more every day!!

Best regards!

How to Know When a Trend is Over ?

There are several things to take into consideration when determining whether a trend is about to end or has ended: (assuming trend was an up trend)

1. Is price still above the supporting major trend line.

2. Price has stayed above previous major low (higher highs and higher lows).

3. Up waves are longer and stronger than the down waves.

Hi! I'm very new to trading and when I looked up at the net to research on exit strategies I stumbled upon this:

"1. Three bars after entry move your SL to B.E (break even)

2. When another bar has formed, count from the new bar 3 bars a back (lets call it bar X).

3. Place your SL at the low of (bar X) for buying positions or at the high of the (bar X) for shorts"

Could you give me your insights regarding this?

Don't know when to exit trades for an EA. Help, anyone?

Hey everyone,

I have a nice system that I use to trade with, it is about 90% (9/10 times, on average) accurate but there is one huge problem, I don't know when to exit trades with an EA.

I am creating rules for an EA, and while the indicators are usually 90% accurate (9/10 times, on average), sometimes it only moves 15 pips in my favor while other times it can move 100-200 pips in my favor. I use the H1 timeframes, so many of you won't count a 15 pip move in my favor as 'accurate'.

For those of you who say 'backtest it', I can't, as I pay good money ($500) for someone to code my EA's. If I have him to 'modify' the EA, I break the TOS as I can't have him to something that isn't in the specifications. I could just modify TP's and SL's/no SL's in the backtest after the coding is done, but I tried it before and unless it works in my head, it won't work as an EA.

I need some advice on money management rules for an EA. Would anyone be able to enlighten me on how they have their money management rules for their EA for consistent profit? When should I exit? Should I set my TP's lower or higher? Tell me how it has been from your own experience.

I appreciate everyones comments.

Post the code , see what we can do for you.

Reason: