Setting up an EMA indicator

Hi,

Newbie here so please be gentle with me!

I want an EMA of 50 and a second one of 200, can you kindly confirm how I go about this. When I add Moving averages to the chart I'm not sure just where to add the 50 and 200. For instance, what does 'period' and 'shift' mean. Do I go to 'levels and add both 50 and 200 or do I have to load them separetely?

I hope this makes sense to someone out there, to sum up, all I want is two lines on my MT4 charts, one at level 50 and one at level 200.

Looking forward to a reply.

Many thanks,

Martin.

738469:

Hi,

Newbie here so please be gentle with me!

I want an EMA of 50 and a second one of 200, can you kindly confirm how I go about this. When I add Moving averages to the chart I'm not sure just where to add the 50 and 200. For instance, what does 'period' and 'shift' mean. Do I go to 'levels and add both 50 and 200 or do I have to load them separetely?

Have a read of this it should answer some of your questions : https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/1496

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply.

I have had a look at the link you gave, but to be honest I',m even more confused now!

I was rather hoping for an easy fix explaining exactly how to do it, hope that dosen't sound ungrateful but I really am a newbie when it comes to these Indicaters.

Thanks,

Martin

Do you want the EMA's using in some kind of code, or simply to be drawn on the chart?

If second: drop the moving average indicator on your chart, select exponential as calculation method and insert 200 as period. Shift is for shifting the moving average back and forward.

Do the same for a 50 period moving average

You need to load the indicator two times

Thats exactly what I was looking for - thanks very much. Yes, it's just to simply draw the lines on the charts.

Thanks again for your help.

Reason: