Exit Strategy: Stepping Stops vs. Trailing Stops - page 2

I think Stu was right with his idea: it should be moved by 10 pips when in profit. I wil finish with this trades and will try to change the settings of this EA.

I am still in.

Files:
4_2.gif  49 kb

The EA works, but needs some fine tuning. I thank you Igor for working on this, I feel it is a potentially very good Exit Strategy method.

Here is what happened today using this indicator:

-L GBP/USD 1.7359 (2006.03.08 @ 16:47GMT)

-Placed EA active

-Initial Stop set by EA 1.7329

-Price moved 1.7364

-Stop stepped to 1.7334

-Price moved 1.7369

-Stop stepped to 1.7339

-Price moved 1.7374

-Stop stepped to 1.7344

-Price moved 1.7379

-Stop stepped to 1.7349

-Price moved 1.7384

-Stop stepped to 1.7354

-Price reached 1.7489

-Stop remained at 1.7354

-Price fell, reached low of 1.7361

-now at 1.7365 (2006.03.08 @ 00:10GMT)

So basically, in the current state of this Step Stop EA, when the price is moving 5 pips favorably, the stop is being moved 5 pips in the direction of trade.

While this is a good method, I think it could be even better with a little lovin' from Igor's magic programming fingers!

Below I will share what I believe would have been a more effective use of the Step Stop EA for the same trade above. Here is what I envision:

-L GBP/USD 1.7359 (2006.03.08 @ 16:47GMT)

-Placed EA active

-Initial Stop set by EA 1.7329

-Price moved 1.7369 (+10 pips from entry)

-Stop stepped to 1.7344

-Price moved 1.7379 (+20 pips from entry)

-Stop stepped to Break Even

-Price moved 1.7389 (+ 30 pips from entry)

-Stop stepped to 1.7369

-Price fell, hitting our Stop 1.7369

-We have +10 pip gain in the books and in the bank

-Price reached low of 1.7361

-now at 1.7365, (2006.03.08 @ 00:10GMT)

So, if our indicators are favorable and we think the price will go back up again, we can re-enter Long!

OR

We can look for an entry Short if our indicators suggest

Now, it is also possible that the Price will continue to rise after hitting bottom of 1.7361. In this case, Igor's 1st version would still have us in the trade L, which would also be profitable. We could even add more lots given directional confidence.

How can I customize this indicator to perform like I have mentioned just above?

Thanks again Igor, and NewDig!

-Stu

Funny someone else would also thing of this, I have been having some good luck with the heder ea on this forum, but I did not like th SL, or th trailing stops, so this weekend I modified it for trailing steps, it is still in testing and modification stage, but below is how the code is set up.

xtern double SlowMA = 13;

extern double FastMA = 5;

extern double DiffSF = 1;

extern double DiffOpenStopLoss = 100;

extern double Lots=0.1;

extern double TakeProfit = 100;

extern double StopLoss= 30;

extern double TrailingStop= 25;

extern int LevelProfit1 = 15; // the first level of the profit

extern int LevelMoving1 = 3; // the first level of the transfer

extern bool UseCloseOneThird = True; // to govern all positions

extern bool UseSound = True;

extern string NameFileSound = "expert.wav";

extern double Slippage = 3;

extern double TrailingStopMode = true;

igorad:
Hi,

I just have finished 1st version of Stepped Stops EA.

I need help to test it, because it is possible only on real trade.

How to use?

Open position and then apply EA - the expert will make all rest.

Igor

Hi Igor, how is it performing , are satified with its performance on live trading ?

Has anyone else tested this on live trading ?

I like the idea of stepstops so I wanted to bump this thread in case anyone is using the stepstop Igor created and can share their experience. Thanks

After studing the stepStopExpert

The code scans the orders in the Mt4 orderbook for the orders that are OP_BUY or OP_SELL for the charts symbol.

When a stop is moved to breakeven the variable BE is turned to TRUE to stop any other order modifications.

From my readings the limitations here is that this code works ok for a single open order ( buy or sell). But if you have multiple open orders ( buy and or sell, no matter) the BE variable would prevent further action beyond the first open order action, because the BE variable is TRUE.

Do you concur ???

I have attached this EA onto a GBPUSD chart. I also have another GBPUSD chart open with a different EA. If I place an order for GBPUSD how does this EA know which GBPUSD order it should be working on ?? I have the correct chart open when I place a trade but I don't know if that means MT associated the open trade with the chart that was open when I placed the trade ... does that make sense ?

Does anyone know if this expert can be used to just move the stop loss once. So that once I am in profit say 20 pips it would move my stop to 5 pips profit and either let it hit my t/p or come back to hit the stop. That would be a very great tool I think.

Shawn

it's just an idea...

how if the stepstopexpert as mentions above using indicator for exampel RSI when it touch oversold/overbought level of the indicator then the EA stop the trade or something better... or by following the indicator... I hope someone can try to make it...

thanks

Reason: