A couple of questions

1. Is it possible to get an object's index value by not having to cycle through a for loop with ObjectsTotal()?

‌2. Is it possible to get the index value by shift of a Channel's OBJPROP_PRICE3? (i.e., the trendline in a channel that has a single anchor point)

1. Why would you want the index, if you have the name? No functions (except ObjectName) use the index.
  2. Write a three line script and find out.

whroeder1:
  1. Why would you want the index, if you have the name? No functions (except ObjectName) use the index.
  2. Write a three line script and find out.

1. Long story short, there's an instance where the name of the object would change, so I figured it'd be best to know the Index (w/o having to cycle through a for loop) and grab the name of the object using ObjectName(). But I think I'm better off re-writing the code where the object description changes.

‌2. I've already tried everything, to the best of my knowledge, to get the value by shift of OBJPRICE_3, including looking at the various functions in the help manual, so I'm going to say the answer is no.

user3822:

1. Long story short, there's an instance where the name of the object would change, so I figured it'd be best to know the Index (w/o having to cycle through a for loop) and grab the name of the object using ObjectName(). But I think I'm better off re-writing the code where the object description changes.

‌2. I've already tried everything, to the best of my knowledge, to get the value by shift of OBJPRICE_3, including looking at the various functions in the help manual, so I'm going to say the answer is no.

I'd need to be at a terminal to check, but I'm fairly confident if you rename an object it will end up with a different index. Renaming an object essentially deletes the old one and creates a new one.

honest_knave:

I'd need to be at a terminal to check, but I'm fairly confident if you rename an object it will end up with a different index. Renaming an object essentially deletes the old one and creates a new one.
Thanks for the info. Either way, it seems like bad practice to change the object name if I need to continue to reference the object afterwards.
Reason: