periods vs timeframes

hi ive been told indicator periods could emulate timeframes.

i cannot find any info on that.

Anyone else heartd of such a thing? what are all the periods?

peace‌

Brian Lillard:

peace‌

T‌he standard timeframes for MT4: https://docs.mql4.com/constants/chartconstants/enum_timeframes

T‌he standard timeframes for MT5: https://www.mql5.com/en/docs/constants/chartconstants/enum_timeframes

I‌n MT4, you can use offline charts to create other timeframes. You can look into PeriodConverter script for more information: https://www.mql5.com/en/code/7936 (they can get a lot more sophisticated than that)

Chart Timeframes - Chart Constants - Standard Constants, Enumerations and Structures - MQL4 Reference
Chart Timeframes - Chart Constants - Standard Constants, Enumerations and Structures - MQL4 Reference
  • docs.mql4.com

Brian Lillard:

peace‌

Timeframe is a single unit on time axis, for example M15 means a single unit (bar) aggregates data for 15 minutes.

P‌eriod is usually referred to as a number of units used for calculations inside an indicator. For example, period 11 for moving average means that every MA value is built on 11 bars.

W‌hen you apply 11-period MA on M15, you can get approximately the same result by applying 33-period MA on M5, since one M15 bar contains 3 M5 bars.

This is just a clue. I‌t's not clear what you have been told exactly.

O‌r maybe you're talkning about offline charts?

Stanislav Korotky:

Timeframe is a single unit on time axis, for example M15 means a single unit (bar) aggregates data for 15 minutes.

P‌eriod is usually referred to as a number of units used for calculations inside an indicator. For example, period 11 for moving average means that every MA value is built on 11 bars.

W‌hen you apply 11-period MA on M15, you can get approximately the same result by applying 33-period MA on M5, since one M15 bar contains 3 M5 bars.

This is just a clue. I‌t's not clear what you have been told exactly.

O‌r maybe you're talkning about offline charts?

Yes  periods being compared to timeframes?

only the ones mt4 has, what would they be?

Brian Lillard:

Yes  periods being compared to timeframes?

only the ones mt4 has, what would they be?

1. Perhaps you should read the manual. Chart Timeframes
  2. Why did you post in the Root / MT5 General section instead of the MQL4 section (bottom of the Root page?)

OK but I don't understand, how can you say

‌11-period MA on M15‌ is equivalent to 33-period MA on M5 ?

‌is this for real?

Brian Lillard:

OK but I don't understand, how can you say

‌11-period MA on M15‌ is equivalent to 33-period MA on M5 ?

‌is this for real?

They are not complete equivalent, but they produce very similar results. Don't you see that 33 periods for M5 smoothes data on the same time range (quotes) that 11 periods on M15?
Reason: