Download MetaTrader 5

Issues with MA, last bar shift on iMA function???

To add comments, please log in or register
Johan Strandberg
Johan Strandberg  

Hey, 

Just new to this forum and would need some help with 2 things

I'm using a iMA function to get the MA value but don't really understand one part of it which is pretty essential. 

1) The lastBarShift, as I understood it, this excludes the candle being formed right now and instead looks at index-spot 1 which would be the latest closed candle right?
I only want to take action on closed candle and not one that is forming so the shift should be 1? Or am I wrong?

2) As I use the lastBarShift, at what point in time will the MA-average be calculated for? For instance, using 15-timeframe and 2 period with a shift of 1 and it's currently 12:15, does this mean that the iMA-value is calculated for 12:00?

Really appreciate any help. Thanks, code below. 

------- CODE------ (have left out init and deinit)

string symbol = NULL;

int timeFrame = 0;

int period = 1;

int period2 = 2;

int maShift = 1;

int lastBarShift = 1;

double imaTest;

double imaTest2;

void start()

{

imaTest = iMA(symbol,timeFrame,period, maShift,MODE_SMA,PRICE_MEDIAN,lastBarShift);

imaTest2 = iMA(symbol,timeFrame,period2, maShift,MODE_SMA,PRICE_MEDIAN,lastBarShift);

Alert("iMA 1:",imaTest, "iMA 2:", imaTest2);

}
Alain Verleyen
Alain Verleyen  

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

Hello,

Please use the SRC button when you post code. Thank you.

This time, I edited it for you.

Keith Watford
Keith Watford  

Yes lastbarshift set to 1 will give you the value for the most recent closed bar.

However with maShift set to 1 the ma is shifted 1 bar to the right, so you are actually getting the value for the bar previous to that.

Johan Strandberg
Johan Strandberg  

Thanks, I just found my post again with some help from Keith. Not easy being the new kid on the street ;)

Keith, if I set maShift to 0, then this should give me the most recent closed bar right if I also have lastbarshift set to 1?  
That's the first thing I want do, all calculations on the previous closed bar but also, what if I wanted to do this on every tick with the iMA-function, basically doing it live on the forming bar instead of waiting for bars to close, would this be accomplisehd by setting both  lastbarshift and maShift to 0? Basically, if I want to trade when the MA's actually cross each other live, will this work ?

Big thanks for the help.

Regards from a snowy Sweden. 

Keith Watford
Keith Watford  

Unless there is a specific reason to have the MA offset from the bars, maShift should always be 0.

Then lastbarshift at 0 will give the value for the current bar, at 1, the most recent closed bar.

To add comments, please log in or register