2 - Common Error

I have code which has worked for a while and for some reason I am now getting the above error

the code is

RefreshRates();

string st_50020=MyDT+"50020 OBS ASK  = "+DoubleToString(MarketInfo(My_OrderSymbol,MODE_ASK),5)+
      " BID  = "+DoubleToString(MarketInfo(My_OrderSymbol,MODE_BID),5)+" BUYorSELL = "+BUYorSELL+
      " My_Trading_Lots = "+DoubleToString(My_Trading_Lots,2)+" My_Slippage = "+IntegerToString(My_Slippage)+
      " My_TakeProfit = "+DoubleToString(My_TakeProfit,5)+" My_StopLoss= "+DoubleToString(My_StopLoss,5)+
      " My_Comment = "+My_Comment+" My_Magic_Nos = "+IntegerToString(My_Magic_Nos);
   FileWrite(My_Handle,st_50020);  FileFlush(My_Handle);
   if( BUYorSELL == "DN" ) My_Ticket = OrderSend(My_OrderSymbol,  OP_SELL,       My_Trading_Lots,  MarketInfo(My_OrderSymbol,MODE_ASK),            My_Slippage,
                                                 My_StopLoss,     My_TakeProfit, My_Comment ,      My_Magic_Nos,  0, Red);
   if( BUYorSELL == "UP" ) My_Ticket = OrderSend(My_OrderSymbol,  OP_BUY ,       My_Trading_Lots,  MarketInfo(My_OrderSymbol,MODE_BID),            My_Slippage,
                                                 My_StopLoss,     My_TakeProfit, My_Comment ,      My_Magic_Nos,  0, Green);
   Write_my_Error("Open_Buy_Sel1_1 ");

the results are:-

My own log shows the following - i.e. results from code above.   Write_my_Error - generates the >>>>>>>>> line

2016.12.22 18:50:18 GBPCAD 50010 OBS UP TradeAllowed = 1

2016.12.22 18:50:18 GBPCAD 50020 OBS ASK  = 1.65653 BID  = 1.65626 BUYorSELL = UP My_Trading_Lots = 0.01 My_Slippage = 40 My_TakeProfit = 1.65776 My_StopLoss= 1.64508 My_Comment = FSC_12995018 My_Magic_Nos = 12995018

2016.12.22 18:50:18 GBPCAD >>>>>>>>>>>.... Open_Buy_Sel1_1  My_error: 2 common error

2016.12.22 18:50:18 GBPCAD 50021 OBS Ticket = -1

The JOURNAL SHOWS

2016.12.22 16:51:04.308 '2000096303': order buy 0.01 GBPCAD opening at market sl: 1.64488 tp: 1.65756 failed [Common error]

2016.12.22 16:51:03.882 '2000096303': order buy market 0.01 GBPCAD sl: 1.64488 tp: 1.65756 

I read something about common errors but nothing specific about 2 and just can't figure out what I may have changed

Any help or pointers appreciated 

peterhw:

Any help or pointers appreciated 

You are trying to open a SELL at Ask and a BUY at Bid price. Should be the reverse.

Alain Verleyen: You are trying to open a SELL at Ask and a BUY at Bid price. Should be the reverse.
And using the same SL (and TP) for both directions.

Alain Verleyen:
You are trying to open a SELL at Ask and a BUY at Bid price. Should be the reverse.

Just made this one for ease of reading - my stupid mistake.

This doesn't change the error. 

Just about to read whroeder1' s references 

I changed the code to 0 SL, 0 TP, etc to 

whroeder
whroeder1:
And using the same SL (and TP) for both directions.

The TP & SL are setup elsewhere and are different for "DN" or "UP"

I have invalid stops in the past and been able to locate the problem but this has me puzzled.

I have been essentially using the same code for a long time and not aware of any changes that I have made

if( BUYorSELL == "DN" ) My_Ticket = OrderSend(My_OrderSymbol,OP_SELL,0.01,MarketInfo(My_OrderSymbol,MODE_BID),40,0,0,"None",100,0,CLR_NONE); //CLR_NONE instead of colour
   if( BUYorSELL == "UP" ) My_Ticket = OrderSend(My_OrderSymbol,OP_BUY ,0.01,MarketInfo(My_OrderSymbol,MODE_ASK),40,0,0,"None",100,0,CLR_NONE);
   Write_my_Error("Open_Buy_Sel1_1 ");

void Write_my_Error(string mylabel)
{  My_error=GetLastError();
   string st_99999 = MyDT+">>>>>>>>>>>.... "+mylabel+" My_error: "+IntegerToString(My_error)+" "+ErrorDescription(My_error);  
   if( My_error > 0 ) FileWrite(My_Handle,st_99999);
   return;
}

Write_my_Error just writes the error code and description to my own log file

Can't find any reference to error code 2

I have verified that My_OrderSymbol has a value.  The following is my log output (the TP,SL,Comment & Magic# are all overwritten with values in the OrderSend statement.

Still get error code 2 ~ common error 

2016.12.23 17:23:33 EURJPY 50010 OBS UP TradeAllowed = 1

2016.12.23 17:23:33 EURJPY 50020 OBS My_OrderSymbol = EURJPY ASK  = 122.45800 BID  = 122.44300 BUYorSELL = UP My_Trading_Lots = 0.01 My_Slippage = 40 My_TakeProfit = 0.00000 My_StopLoss= 0.00000 My_Comment = Panic My_Magic_Nos = 1

2016.12.23 17:23:33 EURJPY >>>>>>>>>>>.... Open_Buy_Sel1_1  My_error: 2 common error

peterhw:

Please don't write inside the quote.

Why are you checking for an error without even using the ticket value returned by OrderSend() (as already stated by WHRoeder) ?

Alain Verleyen:

Please don't write inside the quote.

Why are you checking for an error without even using the ticket value returned by OrderSend() (as already stated by WHRoeder) ?

Alain,

I use this routine in many places and and do look at returned ticket number (is -1) in the next statement.

[surely a -1 states it has failed and the Error Code should hopefully provide an explanation of why it failed together with the error description]

I understood whroeder (in the articles he refers to) suggests I examine the error code which is what I have done and have a value of 2 with a description of "common error".  

No where can I find a reference to the error code 2.

I have taken code from a previous EA which was know to work and that is generating the same error code (2) 

peterhw: [surely a -1 states it has failed and the Error Code should hopefully provide an explanation of why it failed together with the error description]
Exactly. Do not look at _LastError unless you do have a failed OrderSend.

whroeder1:
Exactly. Do not look at _LastError unless you do have a failed OrderSend.
   if( BUYorSELL == "DN" ) My_Ticket = OrderSend(My_OrderSymbol,  OP_SELL,       My_Trading_Lots,  MarketInfo(My_OrderSymbol,MODE_BID), My_Slippage,
                                                 My_StopLoss,     My_TakeProfit, My_Comment ,      My_Magic_Nos,  0, CLR_NONE); //CLR_NONE instaed  of colour
   if( BUYorSELL == "UP" ) My_Ticket = OrderSend(My_OrderSymbol,  OP_BUY ,       My_Trading_Lots,  MarketInfo(My_OrderSymbol,MODE_ASK), My_Slippage,
                                                 My_StopLoss,     My_TakeProfit, My_Comment ,      My_Magic_Nos,  0, CLR_NONE);

FileWrite(My_Handle,MyDT+"50021 OBS Ticket = "+IntegerToString(My_Ticket));
   if (My_Ticket < 0 ) Write_my_Error("Open_Buy_Sell_1 ");

MyDT is just a date & time 

In this case I have a Ticket = -1 and still have error code 2 - Common Error

Whilst I have read these comments with interest I don't seem to be getting much closer.

My original question was any help with finding a meaningful error description for error code 2.  

All the minor changes I have made to 'play' with the code all appear to fail to resolve the error code 2 

Alain - first time I have received a reply from yourself but many replies from whroeder1 - your help is always appreciated

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all

peterhw:

Alain - first time I have received a reply from yourself but many replies from whroeder1 - your help is always appreciated

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all

How are you checking that when the market is close ?

Anyway, this "Common error" happens when there is some bad parameter, so it all depends of the values.