Unable to trade MT4 since Saturday 17 December 2016

I have been unable to trade MT4 since Saturday 17th December 2016. I have been using the same Broker for 1 year and no problems. Since Sat 17th my system has been ultra slow and hangs. I communicated this to the Broker who suggested a new download - nothing changed. I subsequently noticed that a new build came into effect on Saturday 17th Dec 2016. I communicated with Broker again they denied that this could be a problem. I tried using another Broker and have experienced the same results. In the interim I have checked out my PC's, Modem, ADSL line, Internet Service Provider - all Ok! Can anybody offer some advice please. Regards Kevin

What is getting printed in the Experts and Journal logs? (the last 2 tabs in the terminal)

Kevin Brennon:
I have been unable to trade MT4 since Saturday 17th December 2016. I have been using the same Broker for 1 year and no problems. Since Sat 17th my system has been ultra slow and hangs. I communicated this to the Broker who suggested a new download - nothing changed. I subsequently noticed that a new build came into effect on Saturday 17th Dec 2016. I communicated with Broker again they denied that this could be a problem. I tried using another Broker and have experienced the same results. In the interim I have checked out my PC's, Modem, ADSL line, Internet Service Provider - all Ok! Can anybody offer some advice please. Regards Kevin
Something in your "system" is not working well with the new update. Do you have build 1031 ? Are you using indicators, EAs ?

Alain Verleyen:
Something in your "system" is not working well with the new update. Do you have build 1031 ? Are you using indicators, EAs ?
Yes it is 1031. My problem is that nothing changed from Friday 16 to Saturday 17. Everything was working well - the build changed and now nothing wants to work!

Kevin Brennon:
Yes it is 1031. My problem is that nothing changed from Friday 16 to Saturday 17. Everything was working well - the build changed and now nothing wants to work!

Please answer the questions if you need help. "Nothing wants to work" is meaningless for us.

What are using using ? how many charts, indicators, EAs ?

What is "nothing" or "everything" ? 

Alain Verleyen:

Please answer the questions if you need help. "Nothing wants to work" is meaningless for us.

Alain Verleyen:

I have established via my Broker that they have had numerous clients reporting the same problem. The new build ie. 1031 has a compatibility issue with EA's and Indicators. Sorry I thought my response was succinct and to the point! The system worked - the build changed - the system stopped working! 

The rule of thumb: do not update terminal until you're sure and ready. Keep backup copies for a rollback when/if it becomes necessary (as in this case).

Stanislav Korotky:
The rule of thumb: do not update terminal until you're sure and ready. Keep backup copies for a rollback when/if it becomes necessary (as in this case).
Thanks Stanislav - how do you stop the update - it was automated - I didn't have an option.

Kevin Brennon:
Thanks Stanislav - how do you stop the update - it was automated - I didn't have an option.
You can either enable Windows UAC (I did not try this, but this was recommended by other users) or block updates on file system level (I prefer this method - it require you to analize where terminal saves updates - something like C:\Documents and Settings\username\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\..., but it can vary - and protect the path somehow - restrict access or make readonly).

I am don't understand what the cause, whether problem is on computer or on platform, so far I am using metatrader and rarely update as if still can used old version hence will use it, but usually if there are connection status as old version then I will upgrade version with download source again

Kevin Brennon:

Kevin, download the attached MT4.PORTABLE.zip. It contains 2 files:

- terminal.exe: this is build 1010 which you should copy into your mt4 folder by replacing your current terminal.exe (when asked if you want to replace your current terminal.exe, click on "yes").

- MT4.PORTABLE.bat: this is a batch file which contains the following line: start terminal.exe /portable  /skipupdate

Copy the file MT4.PORTABLE.bat also in your mt4 directory.

After having done that, do not start your mt4 terminal by double-clicking on the terminal.exe but double-click on the MT4.PORTABLE.bat file. It will execute (start) the terminal.exe and will PREVENT it from an automatic update. Thus, by always opening your mt4 by double clicking on MT4.PORTABLE.bat you will have build 1010 which will never update automatically.

So, just to repeat. If you do not want an automatic update you must always double-click on the MT4.PORTABLE.bat file which will open your mt4 as build 1010 and it will never update automatically.

Hope this helps.

Files:
MT4.PORTABLE.zip  9230 kb
Reason: