How to temporarily stop an automatic trader

Hello everybody.

I'm new to MetaQuotes 4 and the Metatrader 4 platform (I have a good expereince in C programming though ).

I realized a basic demo program just to have some idea about the subject . Now I want to update the source code  and create a new version, 

without losing the old one.

I realized that, when you "remove" the program from the expert advisors's list (which is where I find it when I compile and save it),

you really delete the program and lose the source code : is there a way to keep the code without having to save each time on a personal folder too?

Moreover, I see that even by removing the program , it still keeps running  and the only way to stop is seems to be (at least for a newbie like I am) 

to close the Metatrader platform (even though, whenever you reopen it, the program restarts ...).

What can I do to simply stop the program from running without having to close the platform, and if possibile, without even having to remove the program itself ? 

Thanks in advance to anyone who'd answer ...

Regards,

Leo 

towmtdj: Moreover, I see that even by removing the program , it still keeps running  and the only way to stop is seems to be (at least for a newbie like I am) to close the Metatrader platform (even though, whenever you reopen it, the program restarts ...).
On the chart: right click -> experts -> remove

WHRoeder:
towmtdj: Moreover, I see that even by removing the program , it still keeps running  and the only way to stop is seems to be (at least for a newbie like I am) to close the Metatrader platform (even though, whenever you reopen it, the program restarts ...).
On the chart: right click -> experts -> remove

I did it, WHRoeder ... but as I told , no matter if I remove the program from the expert advisors' list, the program keeps running......

I can see the counters of the  program increasing constantly, which cannot happen if the program is stopped. 

towmtdj:

I did it, WHRoeder ... but as I told , no matter if I remove the program from the expert advisors' list, the program keeps running......

I can see the counters of the  program increasing constantly, which cannot happen if the program is stopped. 

Impossible. If you remove it, you've removed it. Either you have it running on multiple charts, or you have multiple terminals running with it on each.

towmtdj:

Try closing all charts and see if the program still running. If it does, there must be other terminal using the program, on different pc.

I guess you just need to make a clear process in order to stop it. I guess you can do it by going into control panel.

WHRoeder:
Impossible. If you remove it, you've removed it. Either you have it running on multiple charts, or you have multiple terminals running with it on each.

Maybe it's impossible, but it's what's happening. I don't think to be so fool not to realize if a counter is changing or not.....

If I remove it, evidently it's not removed at all , even if it doesn't appear anymore on the expert advisors' list. 

deysmacro:
Try closing all charts and see if the program still running. If it does,there must be other terminal using the program, on different pc.

I have just one pc , one terminal , one chart. If I remove the program from the expert advisors' list, , the counters keep increasing....

ii think it means that the program is still running, or otherwise MetaTrader has some sense of humour and it's simply mocking me.... 

SurtiTrader:
I guess you just need to make a clear process in order to stop it. I guess you can do it by going into control panel.
Clear process ? what do you mean ? stopping the process from Task Manager ?

What counter are you talking about?

Do you have an indicator attached to the chart?

Is the "counter" coded into the indicator? 

Now that I think of it, it is better to show us the screenshot of what towmtdj is talking about. Show us. No more guessing towmtdj.
Reason: