Strategy tester results that I don't understand

I’m using MT4 build 675. I made an EA which opens  a market BUY and market SELL at the same time. Both trades have the same lot size.

The BUY enters at 1.18436 and exits 1.18236 (20 pips loss). The SELL enters at 1.18431 and exits at 1.18231 (20 pips profit). Spead is 0.5 pips.

Now the strategy tester reports a loss of €1002.31 and a profit of €922.26. How is that possible if both gain or lose the same amount of pips and the lot size is exactly the same? It can’t be cost because there is no way I’m supposed to be paying 8% transaction costs (€80,- difference between both trades).

And what is up with the forum? It keeps jumping to the MT5 forum whenever I click on certain links. I can’t even track my own posts on the MT4 forum.

Possibly, your broker offers a low spread, but charges commission.

From the size of the profit and loss, it is quite possible that you are placing orders of 5 lots, which is 500,000 units of whatever currency is applicable. A commission charge of 40 units on each trade is not 4% 

Oh yes, my broker charges commision but that is about 0.4% per trade, not 4% per trade. Lot size was 5.69 by the way.

burgie:
Oh yes, my broker charges commision but that is about 0.4% per trade, not 4% per trade. Lot size was 5.69 by the way.

It should be the swap, not ?

And what is up with the forum? It keeps jumping to the MT5 forum whenever I click on certain links. I can’t even track my own posts on the MT4 forum.

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/154270

Swaps are only charged when you hold your position overnight right? The trades in this test were between 16:00 and 16:35. So that can't be it either.

Ok, so we have to start using the MQL5 forum. Can I ask MQL4 questions there? Actually, there is no diference between MQL4 and MQL5 anymore, is there?

burgie:

Swaps are only charged when you hold your position overnight right? The trades in this test were between 16:00 and 16:35. So that can't be it either.

I fear we can't help without much details : log files, screenshots...

Ok, so we have to start using the MQL5 forum. Can I ask MQL4 questions there? Actually, there is no diference between MQL4 and MQL5 anymore, is there?

You can continue here for now, or post your mql4 questions on mql5.com but there is a lot less power users there to answer.

There is still some big difference between mql4 and mql5, mainly indicators and trading sub-system.

I'm an idiot.... sort of.... In this test the account balance is €10000,- so 0.4% is €40.-. It looks like the commision for both trades is charged on one trade and the other one doesn't get charged.
Reason: