Download MetaTrader 5

using NotePad++ to edit and compile

To add comments, please log in or register
Deposit to your account via PayPal
Carl Schreiber
Carl Schreiber 2015.01.19 14:57 

Hi, finally I managed to use NotePad++ (google) to edit and compile mt4-files with some surprises :)

1) I created one folder for both mt4-compiler: 32 and 64 bit. (you'll find the HowTo in: Editor=>F1=>Search:"Compiling")

2) In that folder I created as well two folders MQL4 and MQL5!

3) In the MQL4 folder I placed links to the mt4 code-folders (Include, Experts, ..)

4) In the MQL5.folder I placed just links to MT4's Include and Libraries folder.

5) For the links I use Schinagl's Link File Extension (google) but may be it is not needed Win7-link might do it as well (a kind of a personal historical residual)

6) In Notepad++ (abrev. Npp) I installed MppExec (it's a plugin).

6) If you now want to compile a mt4 file ..NppExec -> Execute (F6 does not work :() a little windows open with some sample code.

You just need:

NPP_SAVE
C:\..\compiler\mql64.exe "$(FILE_NAME)" /i:C:\..\compiler\

".." has to be replaced by the correct part of the path to the folder with the compiler and both MQL-folders

7) save the two lines!

8) In NppExec' options window I checked:

9) I set the Console Output Filters this way:

Ok - done :)

To get the highlights of mt4 I crearted the attached file, which you have to "import" in Npp: Language => Define your Language.. => IMPORT

If you now compile an EA or Indicator the ex4-file is created in the Experts\ resp. Indicators\ folders.

It compiles mq4 (I haven't tried mq5).

It even compiles mqh but code of b500-- will throw errors ONLY if you compile the mqh-files.

If you compile mq4-files with 'old' mqh you'll get no error.

If you have mqh files that include other mqh-Files the compiler needs the MQL5-folder even if you have only mq4 files

Now your mql4-EA can include MQL5 mqh like e.g. Statistica.mqh:  Functions - library for MetaTrader 5

(the editor compiles it as well!)

Finally I found out that if an include01.mqh includes other mqh-file and your EA includes them as well everything is loaded only once - it works, I haven't had any troubles so far..

Good luck,

Gooly

PS: Another goody of NotePad++: There is a Plugin Translate, so I guess you can translate Russian (or English or..) comments and text in to your favourite language - but I haven't used it so far.

PPS: I was informed that it could be that you have to switch FILE_NAME and the i:Path options - try it yourself:

NPP_SAVE
C:\..\compiler\mql64.exe /i:C:\..\compiler\  "$(FILE_NAME)"
Files:
Alain Verleyen
Alain Verleyen 2015.01.19 15:34  
Thanks for sharing
Carl Schreiber
Carl Schreiber 2015.01.19 15:45  
You're very wellcome
rod178
rod178 2015.01.19 17:03  

Thanks for sharing. Where were you pre build 600 !   The MT4 editor back then was truly primitive, I used to write code in NotePad++ and copy and paste into Metaeditor to compile. 

Have you tried working your magic on Scintilla? 

ED 

Halley
Halley 2015.01.19 17:48  
rod178:

Thanks for sharing. Where were you pre build 600 !   The MT4 editor back then was truly primitive, I used to write code in NotePad++ and copy and paste into Metaeditor to compile. 

Probably yes, as Scintilla is only a component and the front page of Notepad++ site reads

Based on the powerful editing component ScintillaNotepad++ is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL which ensures a higher execution speed and smaller program size. 

Carl Schreiber
Carl Schreiber 2015.01.19 19:33  
rod178:

ED

i don't use Scintilla even though I have heard about it.

What might be interesting could be Geany - but I don't know whether you can define a mql4 highlighting or not

Alain Verleyen
Alain Verleyen 2015.01.19 20:57  
gooly:
You're very wellcome

Not a troll, just curiosity. I developed hundred of codes with MetaEditor and never feel the need to use an other editor for mql4/5. Though it's far from perfect of course.

For example I use mql5 storage, the debugger and the profiler, which are integrated.

Can you made a short description of what are the advantages (disadvantages) to use Notepad++ (which I also use but not to code mql4/5 except when I need the "Compare" plugin) ?

Thank you.

Carl Schreiber
Carl Schreiber 2015.01.19 22:05  
angevoyageur:

Not a troll, just curiosity. I developed hundred of codes with MetaEditor and never feel the need to use an other editor for mql4/5. Though it's far from perfect of course.

For example I use mql5 storage, the debugger and the profiler, which are integrated.

Can you made a short description of what are the advantages (disadvantages) to use Notepad++ (which I also use but not to code mql4/5 except when I need the "Compare" plugin) ?

Thank you.

1) I started to like Notepad++ as soon as the mt4 compiler claims a  bracket is missing. Npp can count the brackets and so I can find a lot faster the missing thing.

2) Npp compares code - as you said.

3) fold code (mt4 still can't do that)

4) I can sort source code like sort this on Column 23

This:
extern string Sym1 = "EURUSD";
extern string Sym2 = "GBPUSD";
extern string Sym3 = "USDJPY";
extern string Sym4 = "USDCHF";
extern string Sym5 = "USDCAD";
extern string Sym6 = "AUDUSD";
extern string Sym7 = "NZDUSD";
extern string Sym8 = "EURJPY";
extern string Sym9 = "EURGBP";

becomes:

and back sorting again on column 1:

5) There is a plugin for code snippets. 6) If a file is changed by another file Notepad++ asks me: Load the changed version or not? Mt4 just ignores it. 7) The editor has a lot more option to manipulate the text/code. 8) I can have two windows to work/compare/use two different files/versions. 9) Many more options to search in files not just one. 10) Clipboard History 11) Unfortunately it seems that Translate-Plugin is not working but this would be really a great thing as many don't speak English or Russian very well. Go and complain, they might fix it? 12) RegEx for search (and replace)  ... Npp is nothing but a very good editor, while Metatrader is financial software (server and client) that has as well an editor, not bad but not as rich as Npp.  
Alain Verleyen
Alain Verleyen 2015.01.19 22:18  
gooly:
angevoyageur:

Thank you.

1) I started to like Notepad++ as soon as the mt4 compiler claims a  bracket is missing. Npp can count the brackets and so I can find a lot faster the missing thing.

2) Npp compares code - as you said.

3) fold code (mt4 still can't do that)

4) I can sort source code like sort this on Column 23

Thank you for this "short" explanation.
Carl Schreiber
Carl Schreiber 2015.01.29 14:54  

Let me add that you can get a function list of your own functions quite easily:

1) (in Win7) load C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++\functionList.xml

2) add this:  <association userDefinedLangName="mql4" id="mql4_sytax"/>

here:

<NotepadPlus>
        <functionList>
                <associationMap>
                     <association userDefinedLangName="mql4" id="mql4_sytax"/>
                </associationMap>

3) add this in the next section:

<parsers>
         <parser id="mql4_sytax" commentExpr="((/\*.*?\*)/|(//.*?$))">
            <function
                mainExpr="^[\t ]*[\w:]+([\s]+[\w]+)?([\s]+|\*[\s]+|[\s]+\*|[\s]+\*[\s]+)([\w_]+[\s]*::)?(?!(if|while|for))[\w_]+[\s]*\([^\)\(]*\)([\s]*const[\s]*)?[\n\s]*\{"
                displayMode="$functionName">
                <functionName>
                    <nameExpr expr="(?!(if|while|for))[\w_~]+[\s]*\("/>
                    <nameExpr expr="(?!(if|while|for))[\w_~]+"/>
                </functionName>
            </function>
         </parser>

(I just copied them from c further below and there is as well one for c++ - may be valid for mql5.)

I f you now click on the Function List button (or in menu => View => Function List) you see a window with the list of all your functions of the actual mql4 or mqh file.

A click on a function and you are there!

Here the example of Statistics.mqh:

You can sort the functions alphabetically :)

ballenoz
ballenoz 2015.01.29 20:29  
Thanks Gooly... A very convincing post in favour of NotePad++. Just like to add that I find it hard to go past WinMerge for comparing source files, even though it is not integrated with any particular editor.
To add comments, please log in or register