Build 628: Fixes for Compatibility with Symantec Antivirus - page 3

does this include data recovery? that may cost very much depending on the situation.

answer: they start you at 399$ for a recovery..then if you say no they try with 299 ...199

and 99$ (USD) only to recover photo,video and files in my document folder

I bargain for 60$+external hard drive 80$, then, if i wanted to repair old one ...150$ . Toshiba notebook cost me 340$ 2 years ago brand new

Instead i bought a nice touchscreen laptop. .really nice, but i am afraid to put MT4 on it until there is no more stability

I would love to get back to MT3 or first version of MT4, when things where simple and easy to learn. I could program anything i wanted, but now, i have hard time program simple EA and finding error in old mql4 files

KISS

Lines_ss:
Build 628 still crashes on MAC 10.9.2 under Wine 1.7.15. No improvement from 625 to 628. All previous versions since B509 up to 619 were working well. To be honest, i really get pissed about this situation. I have to make money and all this update problematic cost me a lot of time which I could spent better. Some of my MT4s get updated automatically and I can't avoid it. I means all along I have to reinstall one of my backups. This is really makes me sick. I already opened a bug report direct after release of 625. But no response or anything up to now.

Hi Lines_ss

I use MT4 on Fedora linux (also therefore using wine). I have used MT4 with fedora versions 13 thru 20 successfully with no problems whatsoever for almost 5 years now. However, I find that MT4 build 625/628 now does not work with wine 1.7.13 (fedora 20 wine).

In my testing, I have found that MT4 builds 625 and 625 both install and work with wine 1.6.1 (fedora 18). I haven't investigated why any further yet.

Maybe this is useful for you - you may be able to regress back to an earlier wine version to get yourself up and running like me.

cheers

chris

-- bring on opensource FX platforms

chrismcdonald:

Maybe this is useful for you - you may be able to regress back to an earlier wine version to get yourself up and running like me.

Hello everyone!

I would like to introduce myself. I am Trader myself and been following this lovely Forum for quite a few years now. Only today found the balls to actually register and reply. The main pushing argument for me registering was to reply to this comment here and to offer a different sight as a Linux user.

The situation with Wine (MacOS and Linux) is a pain to say the truth. While Wine is a nice software that offers quite a nice compatibility layer Wine on the other hand is not the best solution to work professionally with MetaTrader 4/5. To see Linux and MacOS on the bottom of this Forum (as Download option) only raises wrong picture of the situation. It gives someone the impression that MetaTrader 4/5 is officially supported on Linux and MacOS - which it's sadly not.

A few days ago I contacted MetaQuotes and asked them whether it will make sense to switch to Qt tookit for the long go. Qt is not just a toolkit, it's a multiplatform architecture that runs on Microsoft Windows, MacOSX, Linux, Android, iPhone and so on. Plenty of Windows only developers and plenty of Linux developers flipped over using this toolkit to provide native support of their software on as many platforms there is. The porting would cause some time but the results would be a native experience on all architectures. The software would correctly run on all platforms, no middleware like Wine, the software would look native, operate at it's most performance and and an.

The answer I received from the Management was "No plans in doing this".

Now back to Wine:

I confirm that with Wine 1.7.16 (at least on Fedora 20) the situation works better again. MetaTrader 4 (Build 625/628) start up again.

But there are plenty of issues that I ran into. Some are no big issues and some are bigger issues. Not all of them are reported to the bugtracker yet.

a) I usually edit my *.mql files with VIM and a mql4 syntax highlighter. While the old MetaTrader compiler was able to deal with Unix encoded files perfectly -> compiling them, the new compiler has issues with Unix vs. Windows encoding. Most of my source code has to be converted to Windows style encoding Linefeeds 0x0a, 0x0c rather than 0x0a. Specially the #include statement seem to have issues in distinguishing the linefeed correctly. At least this was one case where it fails here.

b) The new "homedir" user/Application Data/MetaQuotes/ID/... directory structure is a nice and correct idea. Unfortunately doesn't work as supposed here. After MetaTrader 4 gets installed. No such directory as above is being created. Once you run MetaTrader (terminal.exe) this directory will be created. But not everything is being copied over to the user directory. The behaviour is more than wrong. When you start metatrader for the first time, you see the metaquotes Mails showing up in the terminal. You are asked to create an account (for example a demo account). You see 4 default Charts popping up and you can operate as known with the Build 5xx versions. You create a demo account with FXCM or MetaQuotes-Demo and do your business. But once you quit the program and start again, you are being presented by EMPTY charts (none of the 4 show up). Your homedir has a copy of all directories from the installdir. Also most indicators are copied. But the rest is missing. No Demo Server is being copied, no Charts copied, The default MetaQuotes Mails are not copied (don't even show up anymore) and and and. This clearly needs some re-work here. Maybe the homedir should be created with the setup (copy the files over as needed). But none of the dialogs (that shows your stuff being copied to the homedir) showed up under Wine.

c) After playing around with the demo accounts quitting, starting, quitting, starting of terminal.exe (It's enough to quit and restart). Terminal.exe won't be able to connect to any of the servers anymore. While other programs using Wine operate normally with the internet, terminal.exe refuses to connect anywhere.

d) I also noticed this. A lot of you traders reported that they can't start terminal.exe anymore from one day to another. Starting it makes it pop up for a second and then closes it again. I keep reading this over and over here. Re-installing it or installing it over won't help. The solution is in the config directory. Under some circumstances terminal.exe writes a null byte file called "version.ini" or something. This file has a lenght of 0 bytes. So if you run into this behavior again, then please DELETE this file. Terminal.exe will start normally again.

That's what I like to write. I hope it's going conform with the rules here on the forum.

Greets

Greeting's.

After autoupdate to version 625 terminal crashes on the start without any visible error message.

Than I have used files from version 628, but still - 628 crashes on the start just the same as 625 did.

My operating system is : Windows XP Professional SP3 (32-bit)

I have just ESET NOD32 Antivirus and default Microsoft Windows Firewall (Symantec was never installed on my PC).

Before 625 everything was working great for years.

Is there any solution already ? Are You aware of this problem already?

Have you tried to disable antivirus and see if the terminal can open successfully?

deysmacro:
Have you tried to disable antivirus and see if the terminal can open successfully?

Yes. I did. I rebooted my PC then disabled antivirus but 628 and 625 MT4 versions are still crashing at the first second of use.

YuriyZelinskiy:

Yes. I did. I rebooted my PC then disabled antivirus but 628 and 625 MT4 versions are still crashing at the first second of use.

Try to search files in the ...MT4\logs, if there are any lines with error logged. It may have crashed because of the autoupdate thingy.

Ovo:

Try to search files in the ...MT4\logs, if there are any lines with error logged. It may have crashed because of the autoupdate thingy.
Just checked. In logs there is no errors just smooth update, then update finished. The bad thing is that there is no error code, nowhere. It just crashes in first second after I run the terminal. Never saw such thing before version 625. I heard I'm not the only one with such issue :(

You have tried uninstall, reboot, install fresh (using updated installer from broker website) ?

deysmacro:
You have tried uninstall, reboot, install fresh (using updated installer from broker website) ?
Yes. Ofcourse. Tryed pretty much everything already.
Reason: