Internet Connection Speed For Metatrader?

What is the minimum connection speed to adequately run MetaTrader with an expert adviser running, the minimum MBPS upload and download speed?

fxtrader86: What is the minimum connection speed to adequately run MetaTrader with an expert adviser running, the minimum MBPS upload and download speed?
There isn't any minimum speed which I'm aware of. If your connection is too slow then your trading would suffer.

The numbers in the lower right corner shows the total KB downloads/uploaded. After 1.5 days, with 11 charts open, I have "36800/15 kb." So my download rate is 0.4 KBs. Some brokers may have twice that, some half. (From previous post my broker is about average.) I suggest you don't run it using a dialup modem.

the latency to the server is more important. longer the delay is, longer opening a trade will be... and so more chance to miss the best price or be requoted...

open a command line prompt then do

ping <ip of the server>

to see the latency, higher than 100ms its slow

http://forexvpslatency.com/

the lowest speed (except 4 a dailup as whroeder mentioned) provided in your country should do

If you're trying to trade news, latency is impossible - you need co-located machine. If you are running on the M1 and you are trying to scalp 5 pips, latency is important. Otherwise it's irrelevant - who cares about a few hundred MS on a trade that will last for hours/days.

well the reason I ask is because im trying to diagnose a problem with my system. When MetaTrader runs for a few days sometimes my expert advisor will stop closing open trades. I have to restart the computer in order for it to start working again. I have it narrowed down to: Internet connection speed, MetaTrader needing to be restarted periodically throughout the trading week, my operating system which is Windows XP. I am considering maybe running MetaTrader in Linux with the wine emulator to see if maybe my operating system is the culprit to this problem. I dont use dial up but my ISP is slow. My internet connection speed ranges from .50 Mbps to 2 Mbps.

fxtrader86:
sometimes my expert advisor will stop closing open trades.

Any specific error message from the EA?

A few years back, I sometimes had as little as 20 Kilobits/sec and latency over 500. MT4 still worked reasonably well

I get no error messages from my EA. It seems to happen when MetaTrader receives 50000 kb to 100000 kb. When I close out MetaTrader I completely lose my internet connection and have to restart my computer. Once my computer is restarted, and I go back into MetaTrader, Everything gets reset to default settings. I lose my chart with my EA and indicators and have to set everything back again. It kinda sounds like a Windows XP issue but Im just narrowing it down to what it coud be. Any ideas?
Reason: