Stopping autoupdate on version 509.... possible?

Does anyone know of a way of preventing build 509 from autoupdateing to a newer version? ..

thanks in advance! :)

jdennis79:
Does anyone know of a way of preventing build 509 from autoupdateing to a newer version? ..

thanks in advance! :)

Keep it running. The update appears during startup.

Unfortunately ... i need to restart MT4 sooner or later :(

jdennis79:
Unfortunately ... i need to restart MT4 sooner or later :(

Yes, but soon the brokers will not be allowed to deliver market data for the 509, I guess in 3 months they stop supporting it. So sooner or later, you will need to undergo the update anyway.

I need to find a solution to buy me some time.

My EA doesn't work well with the new versions.....so i need to prevent updates for say only a month or so. So i have time to rectify my EA problems.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

jdennis79:

I need to find a solution to buy me some time.

My EA doesn't work well with the new versions.....so i need to prevent updates for say only a month or so. So i have time to rectify my EA problems.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Untested, but will probably work: change the security permissions on the directory where the update files are downloaded so that nothing has permission to write files in it. That will probably prevent MT4 from downloading the update, but it will probably then continue regardless.

Can be done either through the Windows Explorer GUI, or from the command line:

cacls <directory> /D Everyone

The issue is that different versions of MT4 can use different update directories. The "current" one is %appdata%\MetaQuotes\WebInstall, but I think that there is at least one other which may be in use/usable.

Thanks for the advice. We have implemented this now... lets see what happens

Thanks again

Does anyone know anything about the update file? ... size...location .. name etc.

I fear that after the weekend the update will be forced on us from multiple brokers. Currently we can not cope with the increased CPU usage in this version, as well as the modifications to EA's that need to be made. I need to buy some time. There must be away to prevent the update from taking place.

If we know more about the file it downloads and where it puts it then hopefully we can find/delete that file before MT4 restarts and uses it.

Thanks

jdennis79:
Does anyone know anything about the update file? ... size...location .. name etc.

I fear that after the weekend the update will be forced on us from multiple brokers. Currently we can not cope with the increased CPU usage in this version, as well as the modifications to EA's that need to be made. I need to buy some time. There must be away to prevent the update from taking place.

If we know more about the file it downloads and where it puts it then hopefully we can find/delete that file before MT4 restarts and uses it.

Thanks
Yes it is possible, but it's not really appropriate to talk about it on MetaQuotes' forum . . . if they wanted to give you the option they would and they haven't.

RaptorUK:
Yes it is possible, but it's not really appropriate to talk about it on MetaQuotes' forum . . . if they wanted to give you the option they would and they haven't.

I'm not trying to be difficult... but you yourself are persisting in documenting the HST format despite the MetaQuotes CEO telling you that the format of HST files is for their own private use only. How is this different? Why is one a legitimate subject for discussion, and the other not?

yep good point :-)
Reason: