Stopping autoupdate on version 509.... possible? - page 3

jdennis79:
Does anyone know anything about the update file? ... size...location .. name etc.
[...]
If we know more about the file it downloads and where it puts it then hopefully we can find/delete that file before MT4 restarts and uses it.

Seems the only way to prevent the auto-update is through UAC, denying the update when it asks for administrative rights.

But the question being: does the 509 build work with the new protocol? If not then you cannot deny the update, because it otherwise simply won't work anymore.

I dont think it is really a big deal to discuss the live update because, if you install MT4 in the default directory (Program Files) and you operate Windows in the normal way (A user level account with UAC turned on) Automatic update will not execute without a Windows dialogue popping up asking for administrator permissions which you can give, or not give. That is standard Windows operation and thus automatic updates are blocked by default.

Automatic updates can only take place without your explicit permission if you operate Windows in a non standard way (installing apps outside of program files, turning UAC off, running Admnistrator permissions all the time etc) and if updates are able to take place on your machine without your permission it should be a warning that it is more vulnerable to malware in its current state than it needs to be.

SDC:I dont think it is really a big deal to discuss the live update because, if you install MT4 in the default directory (Program Files) and you operate Windows in the normal way (A user level account with UAC turned on) Automatic update will not execute without a Windows dialogue popping up asking for administrator permissions which you can give, or not give. That is standard Windows operation and thus automatic updates are blocked by default.

Automatic updates can only take place without your explicit permission if you operate Windows in a non standard way (installing apps outside of program files, turning UAC off, running Admnistrator permissions all the time etc) and if updates are able to take place on your machine without your permission it should be a warning that it is more vulnerable to malware in its current state than it needs to be.

More people are thankful and solve their problems when they're instructed to install outside Program_Files.

More people are thankful and solve their problems when they're made aware of UAC and it's implications.

Its easy to say UAC/Program_Files is-not the problem ... then watch WHRoeder & RaptorUK try to answer questions from the Masses pertaining to this issue.

Like I said ... everyone have an Agenda . I've heard your arguments before ... now whats the solution?

Given you and some others do-not like the advice thats being given so far.

ubzen:

Like I said ... everyone have an Agenda . I've heard your arguments before ... now whats the solution?

Given you and some others do-not like the advice thats being given so far.

The solution to what ?

Installing outside of program files is a kludge. It is answering a problem not properly understood with a solution not properly researched.

SDC:

The solution to what ?

Installing outside of program files is a kludge. It is answering a problem not properly understood with a solution not properly researched.

+1

SDC:

The solution to what ?

What is the solution to the problem then ? you acknowledge that there is a problem . . .

The solution is to learn the operating system properly.

SDC:

The solution is to learn the operating system properly.

you can have the job of teaching Users who come here with that problem thank you.
Reason: