Can an EA get a value from an indicator on the chart

I have a need to use an indicator value in my EA. I know about iCustom but that requires that the parameters for the indicator be available in the EA and passed to the indicator.

What I need is a way to let the user change the indicator properties independently and read the indicator value in the running EA. The user would not be required to change parameters in the running EA to match the on screen indicators.

The purpose is to let the user manipulate indicators on screen with visual feedback and have the EA react to the indicator settings. The EA would know which indicators to look for, just not the values set on those indicators.

Is this possible in MT4?

Thanks.

spikedog:

I have a need to use an indicator value in my EA. I know about iCustom but that requires that the parameters for the indicator be available in the EA and passed to the indicator.

What I need is a way to let the user change the indicator properties independently and read the indicator value in the running EA. The user would not be required to change parameters in the running EA to match the on screen indicators.

The purpose is to let the user manipulate indicators on screen with visual feedback and have the EA react to the indicator settings. The EA would know which indicators to look for, just not the values set on those indicators.

Is this possible in MT4?

Thanks.

When ever you need to exchange information between two programs within mql4 ... think Global_Variables to begin with. Your next move is File_Functions. Followed by DLLs.

spikedog:

Is this possible in MT4?

Thanks.

If you don't have access to the Indicator source code then no it isn't possible.

I wanted to do the same thing just the other day, I cracked it after reading through this xxxxxx

Any problem PM me and I'll show you how I did it.

idh:

I wanted to do the same thing just the other day, I cracked it after reading through this xxxxxx

Any problem PM me and I'll show you how I did it.

Please, advertising is not allowed.

RaptorUK:
Please, advertising is not allowed.

how was that advertising? it was a post to a forum where the issue was discussed ...

idh:

how was that advertising? it was a post to a forum where the issue was discussed ...
The link was to a forum for a commercial product . . .

RaptorUK:
The link was to a forum for a commercial product . . .

I hadn't even noticed until you said, I had only read the text. It's a bit pedantic, as your edit has made this post less helpful. The web is about sharing, links are passed around all the time - get with it, it's 2014.

idh:

I hadn't even noticed until you said, I had only read the text. It's a bit pedantic, as your edit has made this post less helpful. The web is about sharing, links are passed around all the time - get with it, it's 2014.

Ask MetaQuotes to change the forum rules and then I'll "get with it" . . .

5. Posting of advertising messages, spamming and flooding are forbidden.

RaptorUK:
If you don't have access to the Indicator source code then no it isn't possible.

ubzen:
When ever you need to exchange information between two programs within mql4 ... think Global_Variables to begin with. Your next move is File_Functions. Followed by DLLs.

Global Variables have done the trick here.

RaptorUK, where I don't have access to the indicator source I can usually create a wrapper indicator. For example I could create a custom RSI indicator, simply passing the values through iCustom to the standard RSI.

For my purposes all I need is to store the inputs in the globals and then the EA can use iCustom to recalculate the values.

spikedog:

Global Variables have done the trick here.

RaptorUK, where I don't have access to the indicator source I can usually create a wrapper indicator. For example I could create a custom RSI indicator, simply passing the values through iCustom to the standard RSI.

For my purposes all I need is to store the inputs in the globals and then the EA can use iCustom to recalculate the values.

I guess I'm missing something . . .

I know about iCustom but that requires that the parameters for the indicator be available in the EA and passed to the indicator.

. . . it seems you didn't want to use iCustom() before.

Reason: