MT Terminal Bug database?

Hello!

Where is the bug database for Metatrader Terminal, ie, when a user finds a genuine bug (and several other users confirm same problem), and logs the bug?

How do I check which release version a particular bug has been fixed in?

Thank you!

P.S. - In case you're wondering, I do NOT have a bug to report. I was trying to work out how to handle IsConnected failures, saw that there were several posts from different users confirming a problem with this in version 216; observed that Metaquotes could not reproduce problem. Then by chance I noticed a fix had been put in in version 445.

HarriMQL4:

Hello!

Where is the bug database for Metatrader Terminal, ie, when a user finds a genuine bug (and several other users confirm same problem), and logs the bug?

How do I check which release version a particular bug has been fixed in?

Thank you!

P.S. - In case you're wondering, I do NOT have a bug to report. I was trying to work out how to handle IsConnected failures, saw that there were several posts from different users confirming a problem with this in version 216; observed that Metaquotes could not reproduce problem. Then by chance I noticed a fix had been put in in version 445.

Go to your profile at mql5.com and write to Service Desk (on your profile page see left side panel). Prepare and present all the facts when writing to Service Desk.

And yes they open for MT4 too. 

phi.nuts:

Go to your profile at mql5.com and write to Service Desk (on your profile page see left side panel). Prepare and present all the facts when writing to Service Desk.

And yes they open for MT4 too. 

CAN I SEARCH THE BUG DATABASE FOR LOGGED BUGS?

HarriMQL4:

Where is the bug database for Metatrader Terminal

Metaquotes have it . . . 

No.

Perhaps you should put these questions to Metaquotes directly  . . .  maybe through the Service Desk . .  see above. 

HarriMQL4:

Sorry for not being clear.

I usually use WinAPI IsInternetConnected() before MQL4's IsConnected() - click here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366143(v=vs.85).aspx . Just FYI, maybe that's not even remotely related to your IsConnected() failures. 

IsConnected() is of no real use. Yes, it's buggy and gives wrong results. For example while data pumping is active it sometimes returns FALSE (data pumping works in blocks of 512 bars, after every block follows a tick). Returning *sometimes* FALSE is utter nonsense, you can't rely on that. In this special case I'd say you don't need it, there are other/more reliable ways to detect/handle loss of connection.

As for the bug database I think MetaQuotes won't help much. I had to write one by and for myself, almost a little book. There are so many and subtle bugs, especially when it comes to strings and pointers. MetaTrader is not ready for a higher level of development and most people here don't follow an organized development process, so yes, you'll find all sorts of hints pointing to problems here but mostly no clear/clean ways to handle them. Unfortunately most of the time you'r on your own.

paulepanke:

Unfortunately most of the time you'r on your own.

I guess thats the price we pay for free software (to trade Forex with). Re: IsConnected() function, on the post for release 445 (https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/142071) point #3 states: "MQL4: Fixed an error in IsConnected() function that could sometimes erroneously indicate the absence of connection to the trade server"

In this case, ok. But looking through the posts on the subject, previously didnt accept it was a problem because they could not replicate it. Obviously this changed. However, I have two versions of the Terminal and I'm updating my code to make it more robust. Currently, I've searched for some posts related to rounding and NormalizeDouble (see here). So, FOR EXAMPLE, if wanted to find out:

a) In what version problem with XYZ() was noticed in?

b) Have other users noticed same problem?

c) Whether Metaquotes have accepted it as an issue?

d) If they plan to fix it

e) If they have fixed it already, in what release version it is in?

These questions could be asked of any issue raised, not just IsConnected()....or NormalizeDouble. But perhaps Metaquotes has good reasons not to let us see how many bugs are listed in the database. I'm saying allow users to raise bugs - you need some kind of filtering to make sure a bbug is genuine and not User/Coder error (read: stupidity/lack of knowledge). But at least make the DB searchable.

There, Ive said my piece.

RaptorUK:

Metaquotes have it . . . 

No.

Perhaps you should put these questions to Metaquotes directly  . . .  maybe through the Service Desk . .  see above. 

I have followed your suggestion and....raised a bug via the ServiceDesk! The bug is that the bugs database is not searchable. Lets see what priority is put on it......

HarriMQL4:

a) In what version problem with XYZ() was noticed in?

b) Have other users noticed same problem?

c) Whether Metaquotes have accepted it as an issue?

d) If they plan to fix it

e) If they have fixed it already, in what release version it is in?

you are wasting time. instead write a function to get the release you'r running at.

a) write a test and run it. document the result.

b) not important. 99% of users "notice" all kind of problems, whether (they think) it's a bug or not.

c) lol :-)

d) double lol = rofl :-)

e) run the test again. document the result

write a workaround for the bug:

int build = GetTerminalBuild();

if (build <= 219) {
}
else if (...) {
}

Known Bugs

There is a thread that lists a lot of bugs, and also acknowledges bugs that get fixed.

It is on Forex-TSD.  The thread is "Metatrader known bugs".

It is not a "wishlist" thread, the posts are by real programmers.