Best method to identify trend in forex - page 5

lucyroberts123:
If you follow trend u will win

Please note the title of this topic. Your post does nothing to add to the topic at all. Please do not make pointless posts.

I believe the defining characteristic of a trend comes from the market highs and lows.

A series of Higher Lows = uptrend

A series of Lower Highs = downtrend

Mohammad Ali:

Hi guys, I just start a trading discussion about what the best method to identify trend. We know there are three type of trend:

1. Up Trend     2. Down Trend     3. Sideway.

How we identify Trend?

Thanks in Advanced. 

It all really depends on
1. The currency pair your trading
2. The time frame your using 
More or less a trial and error method will give you the best results.
I've found there is no universal indicator for all currency pairs.
And I've only been doing this for about a year.

For trend signal, I use ADX level 40 and above, setting at 5. But I Iook for a positive slope. I wish that the slope can be included in your ADX indicator signal. 

The most obvious way to identify a trend is to analyze the price movement on the chart visually. The best way to identify trends, in my experience, is to use simple price action. Higher highs and higher lows signal an uptrend, while lower highs and lower lows represent a downtrend. 

Method #1:

1. Uptrend. Higher Highs and Higher Lows. Higher Low is controlling. If previous Higher Low is broken, uptrend is broken.

2. Downtrend. Lower Highs and Lower Lows. Lower High is controlling. If previous Lower High is broken, downtrend is broken.

3. Sideways. Everything else.

Method #2 simple:

It is a bit difficult to do Method #1 programmatically (at least I could not find a good way). For algo I am using 3 MAs. 200 SMA, 100 EMA, 25 EMA.

1. If they stack 25, 100, 200 ( top down) - uptrend

2. 200, 100, 25 - downtrend

3. Sideways - everything else.

I am sure there are many other ways using MAs

Use bollinger bands with a shift. For example, bb 144, shift 34, deviation 3. When price is inside the bands, ranging, when outside, trending. Nice and simple with 1 indicator.
Bollinger Bands - Trend Indicators - MetaTrader 5 Help
Bollinger Bands - Trend Indicators - MetaTrader 5 Help
  • www.metatrader5.com
Bollinger Bands (BB) are similar to Envelopes. The only difference is that the bands of Envelopes are plotted a fixed distance (%) away from the...

Price Action and Price Pattern is generally best to catch robust price movement in one direction as known as breakout.

You can use lagging technical indicator or some sort too but sometimes, those lagging indicator provides  some unresponsive period to actual trend direction.

very well described sir @ Viktor Iassinskii

Thanks

Jordi Bassaganas:
You can rely on these technical indicators to achieve your goal, Several Ways of Finding a Trend in MQL5

Hi,

A safe way to trade safely. You need to find trades after at least three Time Frames, watch first at 4H after 30M and then at 5 M. Set two MAs, one 20 and another 40. Open a demo account to start. By changing TF over time you will understand the trend. After you have doubled the amount on the demo account, you can open a real account, starting with $ 100, at a maximum volume of 0.01. After doubling the amount, increase the volume by 0.02. It is not an easy path, it can take 1.2..5 years to start to be successful as a trader, but if you do everything right and have patience, you will become a successful trader.

Reason: