Why Metaquotes won't support robots on mobile platforms?!

I don't understand the logic behind NOT offering robots on mobile platforms. If one of Metaquotes objective is to popularize the meta trader i think NOT allowing robots on iPhones or Android is severely hindering meta trader's growth... (I don't get it!) Can anybody explain the logic behind this stubborn decision?

Just need to supply a socket or a pipe for inter-process communication and a basic API of the basic trading functions. These will allow developers to create robot apps.

Hi robotalfa,

Not yet. You should see earlier MT4 version on Android : No chart !, just market watch !. We had good laugh at it !. They gradually change it though.

Be patient with them. You may, proposed that to MQ service desk. They granted several ideas of mine - on MT5 though

:D

No application that runs compiled code will be allowed in the iPhone App store. It is against the Apple app store rules. I also do not see the point of trying to run a robot on a cell phone - the network connection is way too unstable and the processor is miniscule to do anything worthwhile plus the battery may die at a critical time. Would you trust real trading money going across a link that constantly goes up and down, or a "server" (your mobile) that may loose power at anytime? Get a VPS and connect to the server from your mobile - problem solved.

Also, don't use emotive language like "severely hindering meta trader's growth" as you clearly have not thought this through.

Its Apple who has the power to decide this, not MetaQuotes. Before you bought your iPhone you were told many times that Apple is rigorously censoring the Apps on the iPhone and they will not tolerate anything that would allow users to run their own code. Your phone is still owned by Apple, not by you.

robotalfa:

Just need to supply a socket or a pipe for inter-process communication and a basic API of the basic trading functions. These will allow developers to create robot apps.

I understand iPhone regulations but there must be a way... maybe not embedding the robot in the platform and making it run scripts...

I'm not too familiar with the iOS protocol but do they have a ban on inter-process communications too, app to app? That could be simpler...

About the network connection, processing power, and battery issues, i have mixed opinions.

Let's take them one by one, let's talk about disconnections first. All connections to the server drop, even on desktop platforms. For this reason, i had to design my robot to handle not only disconnections from the server but power failure as well. And, yes, i know, they drop more often on mobile devices than they do on desktops but i think it could be manageable, not ideal, but manageable... Second, processing power: the iPhone is powered by a dual-core A5 chip, that is enough power to run any application including processor-hungry apps like 3D games... Third, the battery dying at a critical time: this is a real issue but it has many solutions (like carrying spare batteries with you). My point is that, yes, there are some problems but it is nothing that cannot be overcome.

Anyway, thanks for the insight, guys... I was just brainstorming. I was thinking that offering your robot via an app will simplify things for the non technical user. Setting up home servers or getting a VPS are simple things for people like us in this forum but for the great majority of people out there it could be a turn off.

As for the emotive language, i apologize if it seemed judgemental, it wasn't my intention, it was merely a personal observation.

I think one would need to be delusional to even contemplate running an EA on a phone of any kind . . . if I had a profitable EA I wouldn't even be running on my Laptop or Desktop.

RaptorUK:
I think one would need to be delusional to even contemplate running an EA on a phone of any kind . . . if I had a profitable EA I wouldn't even be running on my Laptop or Desktop.
Delusional is a bit of a strong word but i understand what you're trying to say.
Reason: