Why does MT5 use system memory (RAM) to store all history and tester data? - page 2

RaptorUK:
I guess you would like the MT5 Strategy Tester to try and keep up with the MT4 Strategy Tester,  it can't,  what do you think it would be like if it used HDD instead of RAM ?  do you know how much slower HDD is compared to RAM ?

I think HDD is about a millions time slower than RAM.

I don't want the strategy tester to run the test using HDD, it can run the test using RAM.

What I am asking for is, if the data in the "Optimization Results" tab can be stored using HDD instead of RAM. I think Optimization results are not test that it is going to slow down the whole process. It is a result of test, that means a test is already completed. I am sure it is not going to slow down anything.

angevoyageur:

That makes no sense to optimize with 40 millions of combinations on 1 computer. How much time takes 1 pass ? Why aren't you using the Cloud with genetic algorithm ?

Anyway, as doshur said, are you sure you are not curve fitting your EA ?

I am just trying to study the history, after all, the whole technical analysis is based on the thought, that history tends to repeat itself. I used the cloud, there is no way I am going to test on one computer, it will take a year to complete even with just 1 week of data to test. lol!

The computer maxed out of RAM because the Optimized results were more than 25 million. 

AmitJamuda:

I am just trying to study the history, after all, the whole technical analysis is based on the thought, that history tends to repeat itself. I used the cloud, there is no way I am going to test on one computer, it will take a year to complete even with just 1 week of data to test. lol!

The computer maxed out of RAM because the Optimized results were more than 25 million. 

Sorry I probably misunderstood. Can you post some screenshot to illustrate your problem ?

AmitJamuda:

I think HDD is about a millions time slower than RAM.

I don't want the strategy tester to run the test using HDD, it can run the test using RAM.

What I am asking for is, if the data in the "Optimization Results" tab can be stored using HDD instead of RAM. I think Optimization results are not test that it is going to slow down the whole process. It is a result of test, that means a test is already completed. I am sure it is not going to slow down anything.

You think writing data to HDD instead of RAM will not slow anything down ?  25 million results written to HDD instead of RAM will not be slower ?  are you certain ?

RaptorUK:
You think writing data to HDD instead of RAM will not slow anything down ?  25 million results written to HDD instead of RAM will not be slower ?  are you certain ?

Yeah it will be ! however I can store more. so I am trading capacity for speed.

I can easily install a 1 TB HDD, however increasing RAM is a very expensive affair and also you just can't install so much of RAM. 

AmitJamuda:

Yeah it will be ! however I can store more. so I am trading capacity for speed.

I can easily install a 1 TB HDD, however increasing RAM is a very expensive affair and also you just can't install so much of RAM. 

Increase the size of your page file . . . 

RaptorUK:
ok ! sure will try this !

@AmitJamuda

did "Increasing the size of your page file" helped you ??

or have you found any thing that accelerate the process of optimization ??

RaptorUK:
BRILLIANT! And you could right click and save as xml perioducally just in case or even just click "stop" and then "start" (the optimization) and then it will automatically save a copy in to the cache folder and continue on....
Reason: