help with expert

Hi guys, I'm new to this mql4 expert programming.

I need some help.

I'm trying to do an expert like this:

When the Ask price is higher than the smooth average, it waits until it goes down equal to the average and open a buy operation.

or when the Bid price is lower than the smooth average, it waits until it goes up equal to the average and open a sell operation.

this is what i have so far, but it's not working.

any tips?

double Avg= iMA(NULL,0,3,0,MODE_EMA,PRICE_CLOSE,1);

bool BuySignal= (Ask>Avg); 
bool SellSignal= (Bid<=Avg);

if ((Ask==Avg) && (BuySignal){
     OrderSend(Symbol(),OP_BUY,1,Ask,3,Bid-StopLoss*Point,Ask+TakeProfit*Point,
               "BUY",magicnumber,0,Blue);
     return;
 }

if  (Bid==Avg) && (SellSignal){
    OrderSend(Symbol(),OP_SELL,1,Bid,3,Bid-StopLoss*Point,Ask+TakeProfit*Point,
               "SELL",magicnumber,0,Red);
     return;
  }

thanks!!

Here much work is needed on this one to turn it into an EA. Programming exact intersections can be tricky (at least for me). Does anyone have a better solution?

//~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
//~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
//--TradeFrequency-----minimum time between trades in minutes
//--TimeStamp----------usually this is the next ?,
int StopLoss=20, TakeProfit=40, magicnumber=777, iMinute=60, TimeStamp, TradeFrequency=15;
bool BuySignal, SelSignal;
int start(){
    //~~~~~~~~~~
    double Avg_Current= iMA(NULL,0,30,0,MODE_SMMA,PRICE_CLOSE,1);
    double Avg_Previus= iMA(NULL,0,30,0,MODE_SMMA,PRICE_CLOSE,2);//--Added because if you're new it helps with indicators-crossing logics
    //~~~~~~~~~~
    if(iOpen(NULL,PERIOD_M1,1)<Avg_Current //--Instead of asking for exact intersections use this instead.
        && iClose(NULL,PERIOD_M1,1)>Avg_Current){//--exect price match is unreliable .. in tester or real life
        BuySignal=true; SelSignal=false; //--Global bool will keep the value so EA remembers direction price is comming from
    }
    //~~~~~~~~~~
    if(iOpen(NULL,PERIOD_M1,1)>Avg_Current 
        && iClose(NULL,PERIOD_M1,1)<Avg_Current){
        SelSignal=true; BuySignal=false;
    }
    //~~~~~~~~~~
    if(OrdersTotal()==0){
        if(TimeCurrent()>TimeStamp+TradeFrequency*iMinute){//--Recommend reading the mql4.com book for stuff u dont understand in here
            if(BuySignal==true && Ask<Avg_Current){
                OrderSend(Symbol(),OP_BUY,1,Ask,3,Bid-StopLoss*Point,//--Buy at A ... Close at B ... thats how I remember
                Bid+TakeProfit*Point,"BUY",magicnumber,0,Blue);
                BuySignal=false; TimeStamp=TimeCurrent();//--Remember to reset static variables
            }
        }
        //~~~~~~~~~~
        if(TimeCurrent()>TimeStamp+TradeFrequency*iMinute){
            if(SelSignal==true && Bid>Avg_Current){
                OrderSend(Symbol(),OP_SELL,1,Bid,3,Ask+StopLoss*Point,//--Reverse logic
                Ask-TakeProfit*Point,"SELL",magicnumber,0,Red);
                SelSignal=false; TimeStamp=TimeCurrent();
            }
        }
    }
    //~~~~~~~~~~
    Comment("BuySignal=",BuySignal,"  SelSignal=",SelSignal,"\n");
    //~~~~~~~~~~
return(0);}

and check those trade function results! (or use 'reliable' functions ... here somewhere)

hey, thanks alot for helping me out guys,

One thing though, ubzen, I tested your code but it only opens sell positions, not sure why..

Also, I understand the exact price is not reliable, but is there a way i can open the buy/sell position when the price touches the average? (I was asked to do so hehe)

ask/bid==average doesn't seem to work.. it does nothing..

again, thanks alot for the help!!

One thing though, ubzen, I tested your code but it only opens sell positions, not sure why..
It works buy and sell for me in back-tester. Are u using backtester or live? If back-tester then maybe check your test settings. Could someone else run this and verify.

Also, I understand the exact price is not reliable, but is there a way i can open the buy/sell position when the price touches the average? (I was asked to do so hehe)
Yea, change the code to if(BuySignal==true && Ask==Avg_Current){, it might work (better) in live trading. However using equalities with double variables is a very very bad idea. Also, if price gaps/bounce over the value of average then the user would be left scratching their heads. With in back-tester, its even worse, I only have 1-minute data like most ppl. My guess is one way or another you'll have to choose a range of values you can live with..that or get really creative and that part is beyond my pay rate here. :)

ask/bid==average doesn't seem to work.. it does nothing.
I'm not sure why you're doing that. Are u trying to do ask+bid/2 ... either way don't matter. If you want something to trigger at any price example= 1.54321 .. lets call this the value of Average. It'll be next to imposable to guarantee. All u can do is > or <. Or as a compromise >1.54320 and <1.54322 the bigger the range the more reliable.

1. erow1d:
    ask/bid==average doesn't seem to work.. it does nothing..
    of course it doesn't. Doubles rarely are equal. Working with Doubles in MQL4 - MQL4 Articles

Try

if ( MathAbs(ask-average) < pip2dbl ) // close.

2. You probably don't want to test for closeness but instead test for it to cross.
    static double prevBid;
    if ( (prevBid-average)*(Bid-average) ){ // Bid just crossed average
    }
    prevBid = Bid;
    If the EA only trades at the start of a bar, replace prevBid and bid with Close[2], close[1]
  3.  if(OrdersTotal()==0){
    This makes the EA incompatible with any other EA (including itself) and manual trading, One chart Only.
    int count=0;
    for(pos = OrdersTotal()-1; pos >= 0 ; pos--) if (
        OrderSelect(pos, SELECT_BY_POS)                 // Only my orders w/
    &&  OrderMagicNumber()  == magic.number             // my magic number
    &&  OrderSymbol()       == Symbol() ){              // and my pair.
        count++;
    }
    if (count == 0){

sorry guys, when i said "ask/bid==average" I had a different meaning. I meant if I try ask==average or bid==average, nothing happens.

WHRoeder:

I'm trying to use your method but Im getting an error 'comparison expression expected'. Also, this is what Im trying:

if (Ask >= average) {  			//price is higher than the average
BuySignal=true; SellSignal=false;
}

if (BuySignal==true)  //if its higher then
 {
     if ( (prevBid-average)*(Bid-average) ){ // when bid crosses average: buy it.
      OrderSend(Symbol(),OP_BUY,1,Ask,3,Bid-StopLoss*Point,Ask+TakeProfit*Point,
               "BUY",NumeroMagico,0,Blue);
     return;
    }
 }

prevBid = Bid; //not really sure where I put this

Thanks for the inputs WHRoeder.

Also @ erow1d, you could be having some problems because of differences in broker digits. The EA does not take that into account.

what i do then? haha

=/

Reason: