MT4 flaky giving different backtest results with no changes

This MT4 seems to have more bugs than any Microsoft software todate. I've got the same demo account, the same history files, the same EA and the same run time values on 2 different computers, my desktop and my laptop, and get net values for a 1 year backtest that have as much as $40,000+ difference. How can anyone rely on MT4? How can these backtests be so different when I have copied everything from one computer to another? I'm totally frustrated with this MT4. Does anyone else have these type of problems?

Bill H.

For one thing, the time of day (or week) will affect backtest results. Unless you take 'special measures', IIRC the spread for the whole backtest will be the 'current spread'.

0.o rly?ouch

brewmanz:
For one thing, the time of day (or week) will affect backtest results. Unless you take 'special measures', IIRC the spread for the whole backtest will be the 'current spread'.

brewmanz, all my 1 year backtests start at the same day and time and end with the same day and time. So that's not the problem.

Bill H.

you have to use the same time frame brother m5,m15,m30,h1,h4,etc also among the three methods you choose you have to chose the same method but tick by tick is the best! Check back on you laiter!

15011974; there may have happened several things; your data may have changed. Your rules may depend from previous profitable/loss trade, this is worst case. Your start date may be same on your backtester but mt4 may have done something different.

Just tested this. I reran 1 of my EAs through backtesting, 5 times in a row, without pause. Every time I had a different result. Right now I haven't checked why but

IIRC the spread for the whole backtest will be the 'current spread'.

seems plausible.

baraka:
you have to use the same time frame brother m5,m15,m30,h1,h4,etc also among the three methods you choose you have to chose the same method but tick by tick is the best! Check back on you laiter!

baraka, I always use H1, tick by tick and from 2010-03-11 to 2011-03-11. As I've said before everything has been copied from one PC to another and backtest results are vastly different. This MT4 has bad bugs.

Bill H.

fx1.net:
15011974; there may have happened several things; your data may have changed. Your rules may depend from previous profitable/loss trade, this is worst case. Your start date may be same on your backtester but mt4 may have done something different.

fx1.net, The data has been copied from one PC to the other. No backtest values or EA rules have changed so results should be the same in my opinion.

I've been writing and testing apps for 35 years. This MT4 is buggy.

Bill H.

15011974:
brewmanz, all my 1 year backtests start at the same day and time and end with the same day and time. So that's not the problem.

Are you pressing the start button on both machines at exactly the same time. No, you are not. The spread may change tick by tick and the CURRENT spread affects the back test.

Try either disconnecting from the network, thus freezing the spread, or backtest during the weekend.

WHRoeder:

Are you pressing the start button on both machines at exactly the same time. No, you are not. The spread may change tick by tick and the CURRENT spread affects the back test.

Try either disconnecting from the network, thus freezing the spread, or backtest during the weekend.

WHRoeder, wrote "Are you pressing the start button on both machines at exactly the same time and the CURRENT spread affects the back test".

My backtest will not process ticks dated and time stamped before midnight of my start date 2010-03-11 or after 00:00:00 of my end date of 2011-03-11.

Therefore, any CURRENT ticks should not affect the backtest nor should it matter what day or time I do backtesting as that would defeat the purpose of backtesting. Please use some logic in your answers.

Bill H.

Reason: