Know more about other "Trading Strategies" - page 5

Ubzen:
??? Do you have the additional stuff according to the rules. #1, #3 and #4 appears to be missing.
Yeah sorry still posting. This is actually an old system I had painfully developed after studying similar models and making a few trial runs. I just thought I would get something out now in case somebody can begin working or improving this. I still need to do some revision on this as it has been awhile. Will revert...  

ssn: Yeah sorry still posting. This is actually an old system I had painfully developed after studying similar models and making a few trial runs. I just thought I would get something out now in case somebody can begin working or improving this. I still need to do some revision on this as it has been awhile. Will revert...  
With so many different artificial intelligence articles, it has been difficult to decide which model to research. I'll began to study this model since you've recommend it. Look forward to your continued posting.

Ubzen:
With so many different artificial intelligence articles, it has been difficult to decide which model to research. I'll began to study this model since you've recommend it. Look forward to your continued posting.

Ubzen,

I have thought about this SOM system... and others whose entry is based on technicals  and the more I develop and test sort of algos, the more am convinced that a technicals based entry cannot last in the long run. I mean I could easily assemble this with the wizard and optimize it from 01/01/99 but because the entry is based on what is happening with price, I do not think it can be depended on on a live account. It could make you money sure, but am now increasingly convinced that that would be because of your position sizing method, and not the entry signal.

So here is my suggestion perhaps you could consider it a modification to the rules. Why don't you require that submitted EAs all have a random signal and a unique position sizing method. In other words why don't we make this thread all about evaluating different position sizing methods strictly and not signals?

So, it takes resources to login and add username and investor password? Traders beware.

ssn: Ubzen, I have thought about this SOM system... and others whose entry is based on technicals  and the more I develop and test sort of algos, the more am convinced that a technicals based entry cannot last in the long run. I mean I could easily assemble this with the wizard and optimize it from 01/01/99 but because the entry is based on what is happening with price, I do not think it can be depended on on a live account. It could make you money sure, but am now increasingly convinced that that would be because of your position sizing method, and not the entry signal.

So here is my suggestion perhaps you could consider it a modification to the rules. Why don't you require that submitted EAs all have a random signal and a unique position sizing method. In other words why don't we make this thread all about evaluating different position sizing methods strictly and not signals?

I agree with you on all points. However, I didn't make this a position_size thread because I want to give people the option. There's a huge number of people who believe that the direction of the trade is the most important. In my mind, the effectiveness of a system's direction is very easy to test/confirm. You decide the trading algorithm (buy when this happens) vs (sell when that happens). Make the stop-loss and take-profit the same distance 5,10,20,30,50,100 [pips] don't matter as long as they're the same_distance or same $Win vs $Loss (losses includes spreads). And finally use a fixed lot-size. If your wins exceeds your losses by even one-trade then you've just found the holy-grail.

Of course the above implies that you have a decent number of trades, 12 trades per year is just not gonna cut it. Also, it implies the developer is not optimizing the parameters, If someone optimizes parameters, then they'll need to test on a sizable portion of non-optimized years. Also running it on other pairs (aka market conditions) could be a clear sign of the efficiency of the signal.

Now again, this thread is not about signals or profitable, and maybe I should have made it about lot-sizing. But if someone wants to submit a system with awesome entry perhaps they should have the option ;)

Ubzen:

I agree with you on all points. However, I didn't make this a position_size thread because I want to give people the option. There's a huge number of people who believe that the direction of the trade is the most important. In my mind, the effectiveness of a system's direction is very easy to test/confirm. You decide the trading algorithm (buy when this happens) vs (sell when that happens). Make the stop-loss and take-profit the same distance 5,10,20,30,50,100 [pips] don't matter as long as they're the same_distance or same $Win vs $Loss (losses includes spreads). And finally use a fixed lot-size. If your wins exceeds your losses by even one-trade then you've just found the holy-grail.

Of course the above implies that you have a decent number of trades, 12 trades per year is just not gonna cut it. Also, it implies the developer is not optimizing the parameters, If someone optimizes parameters, then they'll need to test on a sizable portion of non-optimized years. Also running it on other pairs (aka market conditions) could be a clear sign of the efficiency of the signal.

Now again, this thread is not about signals or profitable, and maybe I should have made it about lot-sizing. But if someone wants to submit a system with awesome entry perhaps they should have the option ;)

Yeah I suppose your right, those submitting EAs should be given a choice it's just that I that am increasingly of the view that knowing exactly why an EA does well is vital... but anyways just my thoughts
Reason: