Indicator "Repainting"

Hello Group,

I think I know the answer to this question, but just wanted to get an aforemation from the group.

When reviewing some of the indictors posted to the forum, I came across one that looked promising. However in reading the reviews postings, I noted one that said that the indicator "repainted".

Am I correct in interpreting this comment to mean that the indicator will change its presentation upon the next bar's presentation, like re-writing the historical informatio say something different from what was intially presented? I liked the presentation of the indicator, and am contemplating using it as part of an EA I am currently coding, but wanted to make sure that my understanding is correct of definition of repainting and how this would affect my EA's performance.

Thanks to all in advance for responding!

That's what I understand, too.

An intermediate example is the ZigZag, which does not exactly repaint, but it simply stops painting until it can be sure, how the rate has developed...

m.

from my point of view there are 2 types of "repainting" indicators.

that one that recalculate correctly. best example is a regression or a fft.

or that one that are coded wrong to scam the users.

I know a lot of people who trade good with recalculating indicators. You only have to know that they repaint. Of course visual backtesting is useless with that type of indicators.

zzuegg:

from my point of view there are 2 types of "repainting" indicators.

that one that recalculate correctly. best example is a regression or a fft.

or that one that are coded wrong to scam the users.

I know a lot of people who trade good with recalculating indicators. You only have to know that they repaint. Of course visual backtesting is useless with that type of indicators.

zzuegg,

Thanks for the reply and the heads up. I had not initially considered the "coded wrong to scam users" piece, but I guess I should have. Then again, I do a lot of testing before applying with real money.

The challenge with the recalculate correctly piece is that if you are trying to use is in an EA, I would suspect that is operating rules must be written "a little more loose" to compensate for this potential after the fact change of triggering events (indicator wise).

Best,

CountingMan

CountingMan:

zzuegg,

Thanks for the reply and the heads up. I had not initially considered the "coded wrong to scam users" piece, but I guess I should have. Then again, I do a lot of testing before applying with real money.

The challenge with the recalculate correctly piece is that if you are trying to use is in an EA, I would suspect that is operating rules must be written "a little more loose" to compensate for this potential after the fact change of triggering events (indicator wise).

Best,

CountingMan

not necessary. again, repainting indicator sometimes have the advantage that they are very fast. so basically they could work as a signal indicator with strickt rules.

The indicator itself is not the problem. But its the user who does not know that the indicator repaints or developes a strategy by scrolling back trough the chart.

Adding to zzuegg's points...

- Value repainting : the indicator changes value(s) of any bar index greater than 0 (regardless of what the intention/purpose of use is for). Examples : ZigZag, fft, Super signal... 

- Color repainting : the indicator doesn't change any past value. But may change its past color. This is due to the difficulty of painting two-colors on a line without using extra buffer patches. 

I usually put indicator to test with visual backtester on M1 chart. Non-repainting indicator will have value (and/or color) on any closed bar FIXED without hesitation, past bars values will look rigid stiff. Other than that = repaints. Color repainting is relatively harmless compared to value repainting. 

I think like zzueg their is two type of repainting indicators. The good and the bad ! And many are good.

The best thing to check is the quality of the signal of the current period, and not its past!

To use without mistake a repainting indicator in two colors, use it in multi length in the same window.

When you have not all colors in the same trend, stop your trade, and wait all the colors are aligned again in a trend or in another to trade again !

I add it in my strategy  in multi configuration MTF from M1 to M30 to be more sure of the quality of the new trend.

You have there what s you can obtain with repainting indicators.

By using in multi setting and multi time frame, repainting is not a difficulty.

It's the sum of indicators of the current period which is the more important.

Hello Cameofx and Friends, 

Doubt. How do you make visual backtest in the "Indicators"? (Not EAs). 

Thank you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

"I usually put indicator to test with visual backtester on M1 chart " (Cameofx) 

Can you please not make irrelevant posts to 4 year old threads . . . 
Reason: