Have You had this? MetaEditor compile errors give source file line #'s that are way out sometimes by 100's

HELP....

Using ver 4.0. bld 226 of MetaEditor

Seems krazy but of late I get the msg part ...(line#,char) mapping onto some source file lines that have no basis for such line# datums unless my ME has taken on a life of it's own and also decided to exist in an altered reality ;/

I'm having to just wing it by searching for the text (if lucky!) shown in the Description column.

drivin me nuts. and I do not see why have to do any reinstalls etc.

ta VMUCH

Have You had this?

all the time

for the last few months and of course, according to Murphy's Law sometimes when the errors are of an almost no brainer genre, the line# is actually maps src ok. the trouble is, with many 1000's of lines it is sometimes that only way to narrow down location is to continuously divide down the compiled src via /*..*/. ye olde worlde 'divide 'n conquer' stuff ;) I never use multiLine comments unless at TOF or via //. this way I can confidently use multiLine to take out many 100's of lines in one hit.... This takes massive amount of time and I at least, must also keep notes of line numbers bracketing the chunks, otherwise can become nightmare imho. additionally, code that frequently calls many and varied ()'s means yet more time taken to (as required, when the 'not defined' errs pop up), generate the stubs to satisfy refs.... I have, like most others, given in to the 'dark side' regards the compilers complete lack of help when a rogue brace or bracket is missing. I shudder when this happens. Especially when many includes are involved! Is part of the damn environment and one just accepts it although is massively annoying. This latest manifestation of compiler dumbness is just (philosophically speaking) yet another bloody thing to live with... perhaps!

i do it by using ctrl x to remove whole functions or blocks of code then recompile. If the error is still there I do ctrl v to put it back then ctrl x another section out and recompile etc I find it faster this way than commenting out it sounds risky but its not really, if you make a mistake do ctrl z to step backwards, it will put it back how it was.

SDC, a brave person indeed :)

Yes... I use ctrl z,y ALL the time - lol

I'll stick with /*..*/ if for no other reason than with my hit 'n miss abilities/memory - I'll for sure do some insane action and blah... blah :-)

still, is great to at least get a few acknowledgements for issue that most must come across many times and wat is total pain in rear "ME feature" !!!

heck - still nobody seems have krazy compile errors + line #'s that are way out.

Just today, after cut,paste of code chunk of only 10 lines, I miss out ONE simple "int iType;" which the chunk needs. The compiler was out by over 50 lines and error mapping never never land of source file which was A.OK syntax.

I use pspad ed a lot cuz has some actual functional design built into it unlike others... indeed, it allows cursor on one brace/paren and it highlights it's opposite, can do double quotes also. is all manual but superior to ME.

Oh well... life and the universe will not crumble over this but is, as always, the usual platforms devious way of giving the knife another twist. ;/

One thing about those hard to track down compile errors, they taught me to indent my code properly (which i used to be quite sloppy about doing) and to program in functions and to lay out my code in blocks separated by a couple of empty lines all makes it easier in the process of elimination when tracing those errors, as a result my code is pretty and easy to read. Now if only the EA would work as good as it looks I would have it made lol

Reason: