computer sleep mode

Does anyone know what happens to running programs when a computer goes into sleep mode ? I was wondering what would happen to metatrader and an EA would they continue running and the EA continue to trade or would they pause operations untill the computer is wakened up again, and does the internet connection get disconnected during sleep mode ? I have been searching the internet for more information on this it is hard to find any specific documentation on what actually occurs during sleep mode other than hard drive is powered down and display turned off.

SDC

> sleep mode other than hard drive is powered down...

Thats your clue there
MT is constantly writing price data to disk, even if an EA is not working, so sleep mode will stop the EA working
-BB-

Whereas "awake" mode seems to stop SDC working :-)

Sorry mate, couldn't resist.

CB

haha well you know all work and no play ...

One other thing comes to mind when thinking of EAs and the need to avoid the computer going to sleep.

For this reason, it is best to avoid using a laptop for your demo account trading. Leaving it on all the time would necessitate leaving it plugged in to the mains permanently. Laptop batteries tend not to like this and can soon be a costly replacement if you ever wish to use your laptop again whilst on the move.

CB

SDC:

Does anyone know what happens to running programs when a computer goes into sleep mode ? I was wondering what would happen to metatrader and an EA would they continue running and the EA continue to trade or would they pause operations untill the computer is wakened up again, and does the internet connection get disconnected during sleep mode ? I have been searching the internet for more information on this it is hard to find any specific documentation on what actually occurs during sleep mode other than hard drive is powered down and display turned off.

Hi,

If you want to test an EA as I'm doing now you have to not let your computer to sleep.

Let's suppose an order is open by an ea and your computer is going to sleep, the ea is not active anymore. When you restart, your ea works again at the time you open the platform.

Example:

Long when CLOSING PRICE > SMA 20

Exit when CLOSING PRICE < SMA 20

I hope this graph will help you :

Joe

My word. Who'd have thought it.

CB

cloudbreaker:

One other thing comes to mind when thinking of EAs and the need to avoid the computer going to sleep.

For this reason, it is best to avoid using a laptop for your demo account trading. Leaving it on all the time would necessitate leaving it plugged in to the mains permanently. Laptop batteries tend not to like this and can soon be a costly replacement if you ever wish to use your laptop again whilst on the move.

CB

I'm actually testing with a laptop but I removed the battery and let the computer plugged. It is generally recommended to remove the battery when your computer is plugged. This avoid to replace a battery every 6 months . [ A kind of computer stop loss :-) ]

Batteries are only useful when you move in a place without electric outlet.

Joe

joebaatan:

I'm actually testing with a laptop but I removed the battery and let the computer plugged. It is generally recommended to remove the battery when your computer is plugged. This avoid to replace a battery every 6 months . [ A kind of computer stop loss :-) ]

I don't know what u guys are talking about. When I am not mobile my laptop is plugged... It's been like that for almost 2.5 years and the battery is just fine. Almost the same as when it was new.

At the risk of prolonging the life of this thread, http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm.

Lithium batteries, if left plugged in when fully charged, and warm, for long periods will gradually deteriorate, meaning that a full charge will only keep you mobile for a fraction of the time.

CB

cloudbreaker:

At the risk of prolonging the life of this thread, http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm.

I am not going to prolong it any longer since this is really not the place to discuss this... Anyway, I'll have a look at that link. Thanks.
Reason: